Featured Post

2024 Bowman Heritage Break, Anyone?

2009 Topps Heritage Blaster #1 (finally!)

I happened to stop by Wal*Mart the other day and they finally (!) had some 2009 Topps Heritage blasters. I decided to take the money from my auctions currently on eBay and invest it in 4 blasters of Heritage. So much for the whole "make money from Topps Series I and save it" plan.

I won't give you the card by card breakdown, but here are the highlights (in my estimation) of blaster #1.

58 Base cards (including 1 double - 305 Alfonso Soriano)


One problem with the base set that I noticed is that when you sort the cards with the card numbers all in the upper left corner, the manager cards are all upside down! For a set designed for the set collector, that's a huge annoyance since the set won't look right in a binder no matter which way you orient the cards. I wish I would have pulled at least one Cincinnati Reds card, but oh well - there's still 3 other blasters sitting here waiting for me to open them.

I also got two of the "regular" versions of cards that have super short print variations (see the bottom of this post for examples):
First, I got the regular version of Fred Lewis:

Second, I got the "regular" version of Tom Glavine:

3 Short Prints (seeded 1:3 packs - cards #426 - 500):
#428: Jermaine Dye
#435: Joe Crede
#473: Austin Kearns
The short prints are easy to spot this year - just look at the back of the card. The short prints are printed on a dark gray stock while the base cards are on a cream white stock. See the Pedroia base card back compared to the Dye short print back.

1 Baseball Flashback (seeded 1:12 packs):
#BF5: Luis Aparicio

1 News Flashback (seeded 1:12 packs):
#NF8: Presidential Debate

1 Chrome Parallel (seeded 1:10 packs):
#C38: Justin Upton

Inserts I didn't pull in the first blaster included Chrome Refractors (1:31 packs), Chrome Black Refractors (1:260 packs), New Age Performers (1:15 packs), Then & Now (1:15 packs), Real One Autographs (1:560 packs), Real One Special Edition Autographs (1:935 packs), Clubhouse Collection Relics (Group A 1:444 packs, Group B 1:105 packs, Group C 1:193 packs), Flashback Stadium Relics (1:390 packs), or any of the other much, much rarer "pulls."

Finally, I didn't pull any of the known super short print variation cards, which include:
#70 Tom Glavine (variation card has his name spelled Thom Glavine)
#346 Fred Lewis (variation card has Randy Winn pictured instead of Fred Lewis)
#445 John Smoltz (white back and pictured as a Red Sox, not a Brave)
#448 Hanley Ramirez (white back and close up picture as a Red Sox, not a Marlin)

Have I missed any?


Overall, I really like this set. Will the other three blasters hold anything special? Will I finally pull my first 2009 Topps Heritage Cincinnati Reds card? Only time will tell.

Comments

  1. Good call on the goofy upside down manager backs, they were driving me nuts. At least we can read the card numbers unlike Topps series 1. I'm excited that WalMart has blasters now, I'm going to have to stop there tomorrow. My Target is sold out now, but I did pull a Pedroia jersey in the one box I did snag.

    http://cardjunkiejeffwolfe.blogspot.com/2009/03/2009-topps-heritage-baseball_13.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment