Featured Post

2009 Topps: Ted Williams and Wounded A-Rod

Well, another day passed and my local Wal*Mart is still void of any Topps blasters (that black-border set is calling to me...but alas, it's nowhere to be found now)!

I did buy a "cereal box" of 2009 Topps cards the other day though, so I figured I'd open that up to pass the time...

2009 Topps "Cereal Box"
56 Cards Plus 1 Legends Chrome Refractor
$9.99 at Wal*Mart

What I got:
48 base cards
1 Legends of the Game (LG9 Rogers Hornsby)

1 Turkey Red (TR 33 Joey Votto!)

1 Topps Town (TTT15 Alfonso Soriano)
1 Legends Chrome Refractor (PR-3 Babe Ruth)

4 (!) Damaged cards (all heavily creased: 1: Alex Rodriguez, 132: Juan Pierre, 178: Frank Catalanotto, and 226: Neal Cotts)

Other than the damaged cards (all with horizontal pictures interestingly enough), I thought the cereal box was a decent break. I was extremely happy to get a Votto Turkey Red card - I never seem to pull inserts of Reds so that was exciting.

The Chrome Refractors are a specific insert (I believe) that you can only find in the cereal boxes.

The entire checklist of Chrome Refractors is:
PR-1: Ted Williams
PR-2: Jackie Robinson
PR-3: Babe Ruth
PR-4: Honus Wagner
PR-5: Lou Gehrig
PR-6: Nolan Ryan
PR-7: Mickey Mantle
PR-8: Thurman Munson
PR-9: Cal Ripken Jr.
PR-10: George Sisler

While I like the Ruth card alright, I don't have any interest in this particular insert set...so I'm fairly certain Mr. Ruth will be on eBay shortly.

The damaged cards put a damper on the rest of the box though. A quick search of Topps website yielded information that Topps is willing to replace damaged cards for free (minus postage):

The Topps Company will replace any Topps produced card that is determined
to be damaged or defective from any current-year product (only), while supplies
last. A maximum of 25 cards per request is permitted, and each grouping must be
accompanied by the following four items: (1) a letter of explanation, (2) copy
of receipt from the store in which you purchased the cards, (3) pack wrappers
and (4) proof of purchase (UPC code found on the bottom of the box) sent to the
following address:

The Topps Company, Inc.
401 York Ave.
Duryea, PA 18642
ATTN:
Consumer Relations

Topps strongly recommends sending all replacement requests in
a fashion which provides proof of delivery, within padded envelopes or
boxes.Please note that The Topps Company is not responsible for lost, stolen,
damaged, delayed, or, misdirected mail.Replacements for eligible cards will be
shipped within 2 to 4 weeks of receipt. Any ineligible cards received (or any
cards that Topps is unable to replace, for any reason) will be returned back to
the Consumer.


I'll be mailing my damaged cards off shortly - and I'll report what response I get from Topps when the time comes.

Comments

  1. wow, that is really messed up. I've had cards with dinged corners but actual creases is just too much. Who the heck is doing QC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chrome Refractors are only in the cereal boxes, and if I am not mistaken there are two different sets: one from Wal-Mart and one from Target.

    That's pretty crappy that you had damaged cards in the box, I've never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flash: No idea, but I wasn't happy to pull cards that were completely creased...

    tcp: Yeah, I think I saw that someplace as well - though I haven't seen ANY 2009 Topps at Target yet, so I can't verify if the subjects are indeed different or if the difference is in the design.

    On the damaged cards, I've pulled plenty of cards with roller marks and/or dinged corners in the past (and never bothered to mail any back to the manufacturer), but I see no reason why anyone should have to put up with completely creased cards in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:40 AM

    My jumbo had probably 15 cards in the box that were just wrecked. Looked like someone had chewed Denard Span's face off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Code blue: Yikes. I understand a dinged corner here or there, but there's no excuse for something like that. It's akin to opening up that flat screen television box and finding the remote lodged in the middle of the glass screen...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment