Featured Post

2009 MLB Predictions

I usually do detailed division-by-division breakdowns during the offseason culminating in my picks for the MLB playoffs. This year, a combination of baseball cards and work pushed those blogs back...and back....and back...and now that it's opening night, they'll be shelved until next year.

That said, I still want to throw my picks out there - and then you can link to this post this Novemeber and tell me how right (or wrong) I was!

American League:

AL East: Like everyone else, I assume a good race between Boston, New York, and Tampa. Since the Yankees are opening their new stadium, and probably will be one of the few teams with the possibility of adding more payroll at the All-Star break, I'll begrudgingly pick the Yankees to win the AL East.

AL Central: A division that seems to not necessarily have a team that jumps out at you, I'm taking the Cleveland Indians to win the division crown.

AL West: I picked the Mariners last year, so clearly I have no idea what goes on in the division on the opposite coast. That said, I'm taking the Rangers this year. That's right, the Rangers.

National League:

NL East: Braves, Mets, Marlins, Phillies. Basically anyone but the Nationals right? I think the Phillies will have a bit too much pressure this year...which means the Mets (in the other new New York ballpark) will win the crown.

NL Central: Everyone and their mother is picking the Cubs. I'd love to NOT pick the Cubs. Unfortunately, with their lineup - it seems like I ought to pick the Cubs with everyone else. Pssh. Who wants to follow tradition? I'm taking the Cardinals to win the NL Central.

NL West: Dodgers. I went risky picking the Cardinals over the prohibitive favorite Cubs, I can't do the same thing to the highly favored Dodgers.

Wild Cards:

AL: Here's where it's interesting, I think the Wild Card will come out of the AL East - and I'm going to have to give it to the Red Sox this year, though I'd love to see the upstart Rays make the playoffs for the second year in a row.

NL: Since I didn't pick the Cubs to win the division, they must be the pick here right? Wrong. I'm making a homer pick and taking the Cincinnati Reds to win the Wild Card. I might be drinking the KoolAid, but hey - you gotta have hope right? If the Reds can find any offense whatsoever, they should be a team to be reckoned with!

Playoffs:

Round 1:

AL:
Yankees vs. Rangers: Yankees.
Red Sox vs. Indians: Red Sox.

NL:
Cardinals vs. Mets: Cardinals.
Reds vs. Dodgers: Reds.

Round 2:
AL: Yankees vs. Red Sox: Yankees
NL: Cardinals vs. Reds: Reds

World Series:
Yankees vs. Reds: Cincinnati Reds

There you have it folks, the Reds will win the World Series. (Because if you can't believe on the day before Opening Day, when can you?!) Oh yeah, I'm not the only one picking the Reds!

Comments

  1. I actually like Votto and the Reds. Votto is the man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Well ... sorry, this one got by me.

    Predictions at the start of the season are merely fun as most of us don't know as much as we think we do. Then again, there are all those "in-season" factors yet to be played out.

    Rangers and Cards are out on the limb, but hey ... why not. Good luck.

    Cubs not even making the wild card would send Cub fans to the roof top.

    As for our Reds, count me in as one who has little faith. My thoughts here.
    http://afrankangle.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/on-opening-day-and-predictions/

    Meanwhile ... Go Reds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment