Featured Post

Upper Deck Bribes Me With Goudey Goodness

I saw Goudey packs busted all over the blogosphere, and all I could say was "ew." I told myself there was no way I could allow myself to get sucked into collecting this year's Goudey set. After all, I liked last year's set and I still haven't even been able to finish that!

However, as the fates would have it, I was standing in front of the baseball cards in Target and heard a Goudey blaster calling me. "Try me, you won't regret it."

Well, I don't know how Upper Deck did it - but they were right. It was a great blaster that appeared to be custom made for myself (the only thing missing was an autograph/relic of a Red)...

Let's see what I got:

Base:
5. Brandon Webb
6. Dan Haren
10. James Parr
17. Brian Roberts

18. Nick Markakis
19. Jed Lowrie
29. Jason Varitek
31. David Ortiz
34. Curt Schilling
Ok, at this point it's painfully obvious that Upper Deck has gone ESPN-EastCoast on us. Since the cards are sorted by team, you can see that cards 19 through at least card 34 are all Red Sox. In a 200 card base set, there's no excuse for a team to monopolize that many card slots.
41. Kerry Wood
42. Carlos Zambrano
43. Rich Harden
46. Ken Griffey Jr.
53. Johnny Cueto
Great card of one of the Reds youngest pitching stars!
54. Jay Bruce
Great card of one of the Reds youngest offensive stars!
55. Dave Concepcion

Ugly, ugly card of one of the Big Red Machine stars.
63. Victor Martinez
65. Dexter Fowler
66. Garrett Atkins
67. Troy Tulowitzki
70. Carlos Guillen
77. Dan Uggla
78. Josh Johnson
79. Carlos Lee
89. Vladimir Guerrero
90. Mark Teixeira
91. Garret Anderson
94. Clayton Kershaw
106. Bill Hall
107. Mat Gamel
108. Prince Fielder
118. Joe Mauer
119. Justin Morneau
120. Francisco Liriano
125. David Wright

130. Derek Jeter
132. Ian Kennedy
144. Frank Thomas
149. Kurt Suzuki
151. Cole Hamels
154. Jimmy Rollins
156. Greg Golson
161. Nate McClouth
164. Matt Antonelli
166. Kevin Kouzmanoff
167. Chris Young
168. Trevor Hoffman
173. Matt Tuiasosopo
178. Albert Pujols
180. Troy Glaus
189. Josh Hamilton

190. Ian Kinsler
191. Michael Young
192. Mike Aviles

Short Prints:
235. Dennis Eckersley
300. Tim Lincecum

4-in-1 cards:
Red Borders:
Ok, I don't get the numbering on these -anyone have a clue?
35-12: Schmidt, Ramirez, Griffey Jr., Rodriguez

I guess this pairing is "which of these two are fakes and which are real?"
35-84: Buchholz, Masterson, Lowrie, Pedroia
35-96: Pedroia, Lee, Pujols, Lincecum

Blue Borders:
35-43: Ramirez (the non-cheating one from Florida), Uggla, Rollins, Utley

Mini Cards
Green Backs
56. Joey Votto

One of my favorite current Reds!
147. Mark Teahen

Black Back
52. Brandon Phillips (numbered #10/21)

Sealing the deal, the Phillips numbered mini card was the final bit of proof that this blaster was meant for me. By far, the best haul of Reds cards from a single blaster that I've ever
gotten.

Upper Deck Retrospective
546: Derek Jeter

Boring, but hey - who cares after all those Reds!

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:23 PM

    The "35" in all of the 4-in-1 cards' numbers is in reference to the 1935 Goudey set. http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/35goudey/35goudey.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least your restrospetive card was a baseball related card - even if it was a UD self promotion card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE TO MIKE SCHMIDT?!?! THEY BROKE HIS FACE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment