Featured Post

Pack Wars I: Gems of the Game Repack Battle

Awhile back, I bought a Gems of the Game repack and promised to post some of the cards that I pulled...a task that I kept putting off. A few days ago, I was back in Wal*Mart and once again they didn't have anything worth purchasing...so instead of walking away with twenty bucks still in my pocket, I decided to try a second Gems of the Game repack box figuring I ought to do better than the first one...

Wrong!

In fact, the packs in each box were exactly the same...so if nothing else, that sets up my first ever Pack Wars on the blog.


It's a titanic showdown between Gems of the Game repack box #1 and box#2.

Here are the packs that will be contested between the two boxes (in random order):
1 pack of 2008 Spectrum
1 pack of 2007 UD Masterpieces
1 pack of 2007 Fleer Ultra
1 pack of 2006 Hidden Treasures "World's Greatest Card Chase"
1 pack of 1989 Donruss
1 pack of 2007 Topps Series 2
1 pack of 2007 Topps Updates & Highlights
1 pack of 2004 Fleer Ultra Update
1 pack of 2008 Upper Deck First Edition
1 pack of 2008 Topps Series 1
1 fat pack of 2006 Upper Deck Series 2
1 jumbo pack of 2006 Topps Series 2
2 packs of 2007 Upper Deck Series 2
2 packs of 2007 Upper Deck Series 1

In the spirit of the great Turk-off, I decided to make an arbitrary points list:
Each pack will be assigned a score based on the following:

Scoring:
0 Base card
+10 Insert
+10 any Cincinnati Red
+2 any Pittsburgh Pirate
+5 Players I like (arbitrarily decided as I open the packs, the only Reds that count for the bonus are Joey Votto, Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang, Micah Owings, and Edwin Encarnacion)
+7 Other Blogger's Favorites (Chipper Jones, Nick Markakis, Grady Sizemore, Barry Larkin, Jose Canseco, David Wright, CC Sabathia, Rickey Henderson, Curtis Granderson, Andy Pettitte, Derek Jeter, Ichiro, Joe Mauer, and Albert Pujols) Apologies if I missed your favorite player, I did a quick rundown of my Blog Roll looking for people's favorite player...you can chime in and add your favorite player for any remaining packs.
-1 for any Cub, Cardinal, Brewer, or Astro (Reds' divisional rivals)
-2 Any Red Sox
-4 Any Yankee besides Mickey Mantle
-5 Mickey Mantle (because I'm that sick of pulling Mantle cards)
-5 Willy Taveras, Corey Patterson, Alex Gonzalez, Bill Hall, Roy Oswalt, Carlos Zambrano, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens

Multipliers (Note: These can work against a card with negative scores!):
+1 point then x2 Any card that strikes me as "cool", "awesome", or just plain "neat-o".
+1 point then x2 Any serially numbered card
+1 point then x5 Any "hit" (relic and/or auto)

First pack coming later tonight! Chime in with any rule modifications / suggestions!

Let's get it on!

Comments

  1. I buy those things all the time too!

    Can't wait to see the competition unfold. Pull me some nice Markakii ok?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment