Featured Post

Delivery Time! Surprise Cards from Sean of Condition: Poor

It's slightly below 40 degrees and pouring rain where I am right now.
It's supposed to snow tonight.
It's supposed to snow even more tomorrow.
I'm hoping to get back to my parent's house to see my younger brother who is about to be deployed in Iraq.
My parent's town is supposed to get between 3-12 inches of snow by Saturday morning.

Yeah, I needed some good news after all that - what better than to rip into a yellow envelope that's been waiting for me to write up a post?

Awhile back, I had completed a couple of trades with Sean from the blog Condition: Poor, one of which seemed to have resulted in a surprise package of Reds for me!

Sean sent me about 16 different Reds cards - 2 of which were Barry Larkins (always a favorite) but those get their own special posts as part of my ongoing series Barry Larkin Collection. Out of the rest of the cards, the following were my favorite five (for various reasons):

2008 Allen & Ginter - Edwin Encarnacion

I know most Reds fans grew weary of Edwin (or, more aaffectionately known as E5) but I hadn't quite given up on him when the Reds management shipped him off to Canada. I still hope he does well...and plus, this card is an Allen & Ginter card, how can you not love that?!

2008 Topps Opening Day - Brandon Phillips

Phillips is one of my favorite current Reds, even if his occassional showboating attitude drives me INSANE. I pretty much always avoid buying any Opening Day cards, so this is a nice addition to my Reds collection.

1991 Bowman - Hal Morris

Ah 1991. The Reds were fresh off a World Series victory, the team looked strong, pitching looked good...and then it went to hell in a handbasket... Almost 20 years later, the Reds still don't appear to be any closer to the World Series than they did in 1991 - and that's a shame.

2006 Topps - Jerry Narron

Now, I wasn't a huge fan of Narron - in fact, I think he was a rather lousy manager. BUT - even he was nowhere as frustrating as Mr. Dusty Baker who currently helms the ship S.S. Cincinnati. It's quite amazing how many lousy managers the Reds have cycled through in the past decade...

And finally:

1993 Donruss - Scott Bankhead

Why is this a favorite? Because while I have pretty much avoided all things Donruss since 1991, I really like the simplistic design of the '93 Donruss set. I also like the back of the card which gives 5 years of statistics plus a second (different) photo of the player in question. Oh yeah, and those uniforms...

Thanks a lot Sean. As always, if anyone else would like to work out a trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments