Featured Post

Prizes for Me! Part 1 of 3: Goodwin Champions

A few days ago, Brian over at Play at the Plate held a contest where each participant had to guess a number. Hey, I'm a mathematician, I know lots of numbers - which obviously means the contest was right up my alley! Well, it wasn't quite that easy, but thanks to some counting, estimating, integrating, deriving, and rounding, I came up with the correct answer to his question. My prize? A bunch of Goodwin Champions packs...some opened, some not opened.

Confused? You shouldn't be - at least, you won't be after the third part of the prize is posted!

Here's the first two unopened packs (which just so happened to be the first two packs of Goodwin Champions that I've opened this year)!

Pack 1:

28. Brian McCann
67. Josh Beckett

148. David Price

Mini:
213. Erik Bedard

Pack 2:

79. John Lackey

66. Buffalo Bill Cody
160. Mike Parsons

Mini:
120. Stephen Drew

Thanks a lot Brian! There's still plenty more prize cards to come though - so stay tuned!

As for my thoughts on Goodwin Champions:

1. Nice cards though it's impossible NOT to compare this set to Allen & Ginter - heck, there's even a mini card in each pack.
2. The biggest complaint - only 4 cards per pack, and only 3 base cards per pack.
3. The backs of the cards are boring. Yes, I still like to actually look at my cards - and a gray back with minimal stats, no color, no pictures...that's just boring. Even the team logos on the back are boring in a black outline form. Blech.
4. The minis are nice - I like minis...it's why I try to collect every mini in the Allen & Ginter set. So far I'm trying to be strong and not get sucked into Goodwin Champions too...

Comments

  1. the McCann maybe is for trade?
    swap yes?

    ( I think I broke every grammar rule in the English language in just two sentences )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the paintings for this set are, for the most part, awesome! They have a great 3D look. Who knows if they are truly paintings or are photos with a computerized "painted" effect. However, the backgrounds are horrendous!
    A&G has such a great vintage look to it because Topps' printing sucks, so the slight fuzziness works perfect. Goodwin and Champions on the other hand looks too crisp and new to have a proper vintage feel. Shame on Upper Deck for actually striving to have some quality printing on their products. Their superiority ends up being their fault in this comparison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't get into set building,but I do like these.The Lackey portrait,the Stephen Drew close-up action and Buffalo Bill Cody is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment