Featured Post

Delivery Time! Trade with Nico from NrMt

More yellow envelopes in the mailbox - the latest is from Nico over at the Nr Mt blog. You can read about the cards I sent Nico in a write-up on his blog here. As for what I got in return, let's see how it affected the 'ol want lists!

First up, a set I decided to collect on a whim...and quickly realized I was missing over 550 cards from. Thanks to plenty of generous traders, I've managed to get the remaining wants to at least a more respectable number.

1991 Score:
Number of base cards I'm still missing: 104

460. Frank Viola
509. Pete O'Brien
729. Mel Rojas
790. Tony Pena
791. John Candelaria
799. Scott Ruskin
801. Walt Terrell
804. Chris Nabholz
807. Todd Worrell
811. Pat Tabler
814. Dale Sveum
816. Rick Dempsey

Now, take a look at that Dempsey card and see if you can tell me what exactly is going on. At first, I thought it was a canned shot of Dempsey pretending to field a throw at home without a mask on. However, I then realized that there is clearly a guy sliding into home (you can see his feet on the lower left corner). At that point, I thought it was a (admittedly poorly framed) picture of a play at the plate in which Dempsey was about to make a throw to third to nail a runner trying to advance...but then I realized that Dempsey isn't even holding a ball - though he is acting like he is (notice the fingers in a "fast ball" grip...except missing a baseball to throw).

819. Doug Jennings
820. Tom Herr
821. Rob Ducey
827. Danny Heep
833. Ron Karkovice
844. Gerald Young

2008 Upper Deck Spectrum:
Number of base cards I'm still missing: 8

60. David Wright

Phew, I thought this set would be a piece of cake to put together. No short prints coupled with only 100 cards in the set... WRONG! The darn thing is two years and counting...and I'm still missing 8 cards. Sheesh. I guess no one other than me bought Spectrum - and yes, I realize that I was dumb enough to try and collect last year's UD Spectrum set as well.


2008 Upper Deck - Star Quest - Ultra Rare:
Base cards missing: 2

SQ-40: Daisuke Matsuzaka

I finally managed to complete the common version of the Star Quest insert set - and now I'm trying to focus on the other rarities. I think if I narrowed it down a bit, I'd most like to complete the Ultra Rare insert set next since they seem to have a really nice shine to them and seem a bit more "special" than the cheap foil cards of the other insert variations.

2009 Topps:
Black border Wal*Mart base cards missing: 1
Old School Target Throwback base cards missing: 13


Topps Town Gold: TTT23. Josh Hamilton
Career Best Legend: LGCB-JF. Jimmie Foxx
World Baseball Classic: BCS6. Jose Reyes


I've completed the white base set and now I'm only a handful of cards away from having both the black bordered and throwback (series I only) sets complete as well. Of course, Topps really screwed the proverbial pooch when they decided to over-gimmick the gimmick of different types of card stocks by limiting the "special cards" to two packs per $20 blaster. Just think Topps, you could've had more of my hard earned money...instead the post office gets it while I complete trade after trade trying to track down the remaining cards that I need for your sets.



As always, thanks a lot Nico! And for anyone else, if you'd like to work out a trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. Glad I could help out with the ole' want list. Your next package will be on its way soon enough

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment