Featured Post

The "Crazy Early" Predictions

While you wouldn't know it by looking outside my window at the moment, but winter is on its way out and spring will soon be upon us.  And, as is tradition, with the warmer air and chirping birds, the masses will all publish their predictions for the next MLB season. 

I'm going to do one better.  I'm going to give you my predictions while the snow is still flying, free agents are still roaming, and no one on the Mets is injured.

2010 "Crazy Early" Predictions*
*All predictions subject to change

Starting with the AL East:
1.  Yankees
2.  Rays (Wild Card)
3.  Red Sox
4.  Blue Jays
5.  Orioles
Crazy Early Prediction:  The Red Sox decide to go back to "poor" so that regular people will like them again.  "Red Sox Nation" cries.  The Yankees buy every player they can, including the entire Orioles farm system (to ensure, of course, that the O's never get out of the basement).

AL Central:1.  Tigers
2.  White Sox
3.  Twins
4.  Indians
5.  Royals
Crazy Early Prediction:  The Tigers change their name halfway through the season in an effort to not be associate with the "other" Tiger. 

AL West:
1.  Mariners
2.  Angels
3.  Rangers
4.  Athletics
Crazy Early Prediction:  The A's GM Billy Beane write a new book called "Money Ball II"...most NL Central GMs ignore it.

And in the National League:
 NL East:
1.  Phillies
2.  Marlins
3.  Braves
4.  Mets
5.  Nationals
Crazy Early Prediction:  The Marlins score more runs per game than they draw fans per game for the first month of the sesaon.  The Nationals remain jealous of the Marlins attendance.

NL Central:
1.  Cardinals
2.  Reds (Wild Card)
3.  Cubs
4.  Brewers
5.  Pirates
6.  Astros
Crazy Early Prediction:  The Pirates win their first 5 games of the new season, management panics and trades all starters, the manager, and two of the bat boys for 3 splinters, a washed up minor leaguer, and a player to be named later.

NL West:
1.  Giants
2.  Rockies
3.  Dodgers
4.  Diamondbacks
5.  Padres
Crazy Early Prediction:  All National League West teams decide to start every game 3 hours earlier than normal in an effort to make Baseball Tonight highlights.  Half the country ends up surprised, wonders when MLB expanded to the west coast.

Now, I'm guessing you don't agree with my picks - so I'd love to hear your "Crazy Early" Predictions in the comments.  I'll have my full season (true) predictions sometime during spring training...it'll be interesting to see (for me at least) how my "gut instincts" predictions now compare to my "researched" predictions later in the spring...

Comments

  1. Your AL East prediction hurts my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY don't like your predictions. Apparently the Dodgers have become the Giants and there are now TWO Giants in the NL West.

    That is my worst nightmare right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what to think about the Sox at the moment. Their offense definitely isn't as potent as it has been in the past, their pitching looks like it can be amazing. Lester, Lackey and Beckett are top of the rotation guys and Buchholz looks like he finally put everything together. I'm being optimistic on Dice-K due to the injury and figure that he's good for 15 - 18 wins. If any of those guys falter the Sox are supposedly considering giving top prospect Casey Kelly a shot in the majors this season. I think that was part of why he ended up choosing to pitch over playing shortstop. I'm sure that there will be some frustrating one run losses, but a shabby offense for the Sox is still better than most of the league. Without any major injuries, I see them winning the AL Wild Card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beardy - I'm so sorry!

    Night Owl - Yeah, I don't blame you. Didn't you know Bud wants contraction? No? Oh...maybe I just got typing too quickly! I've fixed the mistake.

    Offy - I think you are correct, but the Sox are definitely not the "paper favorite" this year, at least I don't believe so. They have the resources though that if they are "close" by the trade deadline they can make some significant moves.

    And finally, remember that these are "just for fun" on a Sunday where I don't feel like talking about the Super Bowl... I'll post a true, in depth prediction post later this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think people are down on the Sox because they couldn't make any moves other than signing Lackey. The thumb injury kept them from trading Lowell away and Jed Hoyer's cold feet kept them from acquiring Adrian Gonzalez who was convinced he was on the move.

    Tampa Bay is confusing. With another batch of talented youngsters ready to make their mark they may bounce back from a disappointing season last year.

    Can't wait for Spring Training to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate your NL Central prediction....though, I think the only team worse than the Astros this year is the Pirates (unless the Reds young pitching doesn't hold up...then the Astros will settle into a solid 4th place).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment