Featured Post

Nachos Grande: 2010 MLB Predictions

In honor of Opening Night Opening Day tomorrow, it's time for me to lock in my predictions for the 2010 MLB season. 

AL East:

The American League East boasts (arguably) three of the top ten teams in all of baseball (Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays).  Of course, a maximum of two teams from a single division can make the playoffs meaning the AL East competition should be intense throughout the spring, summer, and into early autumn.

1.  Yankees
2.  Rays  (Wild Card)
3.  Red Sox
4.  Orioles
5.  Blue Jays


As I mentioned above, it's a crap shoot with the top three teams - I wouldn't be all that surprised if Boston ended up winning the AL East and the Yankees took the Wild Card or really any other scenerio between the three teams!  However, since I had to make one final pick, I decided the potent Yankees lineup (along with their deep pockets that can allow the team to shore up any weaknesses in mid-summer) would carry New York to the divisional crown. 

AL Central:

The AL Central appears to be a relatively balanced division...which makes it remarkably difficult to pick!

1.  Twins
2.  White Sox
3.  Indians
4.  Tigers
5.  Royals

I took the Twins as the divisional champs, mostly because of their new stadium and new willingness to shell out bucks to build (and keep) a winner on the field.  The White Sox ought to be better than a lot of people seem to think they will be...while I expect the Indians and Tigers both to hang tough for most of the season before falling short at the end.  The Royals, well...maybe next year.

AL West

The AL West is the topsy-turvy division.  It seems the entire standings of the West flip-flop every few years, and I don't expect it to be much different this year. 

1.  Mariners
2.  Athletics
3.  Rangers
4.  Angels

The Mariners have the pitching, and just enough offense, to hold off the upstart A's and their bevy of young talent.  The Rangers are a bit of a proverbial wild card, in the best situation they could make a run but I don't see it all that likely to happen.  The Angels seemed to have gone from great to old in about a season-and-a-half...and because of that, they get the cellar.

Now, let's take a look at the National League:

NL East:

The East appears to be a done deal for this year...but there is a reason why they play the games!

1.  Phillies
2.  Braves
3.  Marlins
4.  Nationals
5.  Mets

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by selecting the Phillies to win the division...but I am stepping out on a limb by picking the Nationals to finish anywhere but dead last!  I think the Mets are in trouble - injuries and mysterious personal problems have already hit some of the Mets and the season hasn't even started yet!

NL Central

The Central is the toughest division for me to pick because I view it through rose-colored glasses...but I'll do my best!

1.  Cardinals
2.  Reds  (Wild Card)
3.  Brewers
4.  Pirates
5.  Cubs
6.  Astros

I've looked at NL Central predictions from a variety of sources and have seen the Reds picked to finish in every position.  I think that's actually a fair assessment of the division though, there's no one that is completely dominant, and no one that is so bad that they couldn't somehow beat another team in the division.  The biggest surprise for me would be if the Astros, Cubs, or Pirates made the playoffs - the other three teams in the division all have enough pieces that if they get a bit of luck they could end up with the divisional crown.

NL West

The NL West is always interesting, lots of teams with alternating strengths and weaknesses.  Which team's strength will beat which team's weaknesses worse than that team beating the aforementioned team's weaknesses?  If that's confusing to you, don't worry, it was confusing to me too and I typed it.

1.  Dodgers
2.  Rockies
3.  Diamondbacks
4.  Giants
5.  Padres

I'll take the Dodgers to win the West - and I'll take the Padres to win the non-coveted "worst record in the National League."  I have no idea how San Diego is expecting to contend...they seem to have a lousy team on paper! 

Playoffs

Heck, if I've gone this far, I might as well pick the playoffs too!

American League:
Divisional Round:


Yankees over Twins





Mariners over Rays



Championship Round:


Mariners over Yankees



National League:
Divisional Round:


Cardinals over Dodgers




Phillies over Reds




Championship Round:


Phillies over Cardinals




World Series:


Mariners over Phillies



So, there you have it!  Am I crazy?  Sure I am, but hey, what fun is it to predict the "expected" results that all the pundits are spouting?  I do think the Phillies are the best team in the National League, and perhaps, all of baseball.  However, I think the Mariners are custom built to win a World Series - so they are my surprise pick for the winner!

Image source:
Sportsfanhome.com

Comments

  1. In the AL East the Red Sox look a tad low on your list, but it is a crapshoot. Maybe the Jays will surprise. And get fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could live with the Mariners winning it all, that is if my team is out of it by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was to pick I'd say: Our picks actually are pretty close.

    I'd prob differ in terms of the NL west. I'm taking the Rockies to win. Then Dodgers, Giants, DBacks, Padres.

    Overall, I'd think that the teams competing for wildcards would be:

    AL-> Rays, Red Sox, White Sox, Rangers
    NL -> Braves, Marlins, Reds, Brewers, Dodgers

    ... not necessarily ending in that order

    cool picks, and good luck to your Reds, I like the youth on the team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only hope that you are right about the M's. It will be tough to get there, but I'm dreaming big this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment