Featured Post

A TCDB Mailbag on One of the Best Mondays of the Year!

1997 UD Collector's Choice - Pack 01

It's time to dip into the final untouched box of the group break.  Much like my first group break, I like having at least one box of late 90s Collector's Choice cards because they provide a lot of cards of ALL the teams plus a bunch of interesting inserts (stickers or bobbleheads especially, depending on the year).  In the 1997 Collector's Choice Series 1 box, there are a bunch of inserts including:
The Big Show (1:1 packs)
The Big Show - World Headquarter Edition (1:35 packs)
Stick-Ums (1:3 packs)
Premire Power - Silver Version (1:15 packs)
Premier Power - Gold Version (1:69 packs)
Ken Griffey Clearly Dominant (1:144 packs)

1997 UD Collector's Choice
Pack 01

30.  Fred McGriff (Braves)

The "stars" in the set get the full-bleed photography treatment.  It's a nice, subtle way of accentuating the better players on each team - especially since each team is in sequential order in the set.
54.  Terry Adams (Cubs)

58.  League Leaders - RBI  - A. Belle (Indians) & A. Galarraga (Rockies)

All cards with more than one (claimed) team on them will be randomed off at the end of the group break.  Of course, for cards in Collector's Choice there is a great chance of duplicates so odds are there will be one of these cards in both the Indians stack and the Rockies stack before all is said and done.
62.  League Leaders - ERA - J. Guzman (Blue Jays) & K. Brown (Marlins)

117.  Robb Nen (Marlins)

The back of the cards feature full career statistics which is always appreciated.  It's even better since it is a set designed for the younger baseball collectors.  I remember pouring over the numbers on the back of my late 1980s Topps cards when I was a little kid - perhaps people 10 years younger than me have the same memory with Upper Deck's Collector's Choice.
136.  Tim Wallach (Dodgers)

158.  Frank Rodriguez (Twins)

184.  Jason Giambi (Athletics)

199.  Willie McGee (Cardinals)

213.  Jason Thompson (Padres)

Nothing quite says San Diego like a baseball rookie with a surfboard. 
233.  Joey Cora (Mariners)

29/45.  Paul Molitor - The Big Show (Twins)

The Big Show is the one-per-pack insert set in this box of Collector's Choice.  They are shiny and harken back to a time when ESPN had memorable personalities like Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick.

Comments

  1. I remember pouring over the numbers on the back of my late 1980s Topps cards when I was a little kid - perhaps people 10 years younger than me have the same memory with Upper Deck's Collector's Choice.

    You are correct! I was too young (3 years old) to appreciate 1989 Topps when it first came out, but I was 11 when 97 UD CC came on the scene, and I loved these cards. I swear we bought more packs of this (between myself and my brother who was 7 at the time) then anything else ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be in the group that was pouring over their stats of their late '70s cards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment