Featured Post

Delivery Time! Trade with David from Long Fly Ball to Because...

What do a bunch of Turkey Reds, a few gold parallels, a few base cards, and a couple other insert cards get you?  In the case of my most recent trade with David from Long Fly Ball to Because..., a whole lot of cards off my want list!  You can read about his end of the trade here...I'll be showing off the cards I got below!

Here's a look at some of 'em:

Legendary Lineage:
LL-34.  Eddie Mathews & Chipper Jones
LL-37.  Jackie Robinson & Ichiro

LL-38.  Cal Ripken Jr. & Hanley Ramirez
LL-46.  Luis Aparicio & Alexei Ramirez
LL-52.  Dale Murphy & Matt Kemp
LL-53.  Nolan Ryan & Justin Verlander
LL-54.  Ozzie Smith & Elvis Andrus
LL-60.  Ryne Sandberg & Chase Utley

I know a lot of people have ragged on Topps for the plethora of insert sets in their base product (and justifiably so, in my opinion).  However, Topps is probably onto something because there are way too many collectors (with corresponding interests) to possibly satisfy all potential buyers with only one or two inserts.  Take, for example, the Legendary Lineage insert set.  Most people seem to hate this set - but I actually like it.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say it's probably my second or third favorite insert set in the base set!  I'm quite happy that most people don't like it though - it has enabled me to get fairly close to completing the entire set (only missing #LL 15, 39, 40, 42, 43, 48).

History of the World Series:
HWS17.  Dennis Eckersley
HWS24.  Chase Utley

The History of the World Series insert set is a much more boring insert set - and one that could have been awesome.  I think Topps should have done a card for each World Series...maybe they will someday.  That would be something to collect!  As it is, I still need a bunch of these cards (HWS- 2, 7, 8, 11, 12, 15, 19, 20, 21, 23, 25)...so maybe it's just as well there are only 25 in the set!

Vintage Legends:
VLC20.  Ty Cobb

I thought the concept of Vintage Legends was neat - but they should have replaced the Cards Your Mother Threw Out so that there weren't two insert sets that were basically the same retro idea.  As it stands, the Vintage Legends are more of a footnote in the Topps insert collection - but one that I'd still like to complete (VLC- 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 21).

Tales of the Game:
TOG-20.  Derek Jeter

I'm sick and tired of Derek Jeter cards, but I appreciate this card simply because it was the last one I needed for the Tales of the Game insert set.  It's always satisfying to get that last missing card from a particular checklist!

Cards Your Mother Threw Out:
CMT-15.  Jim Palmer
CMT-45.  Cal Ripken Jr.
CMT-50.  Ichiro

CMT-70.  Harmon Killebrew
CMT-71.  Eddie Mathews
CMT-75.  Rod Carew
CMT-77.  Johnny Bench
CMT-89.  Steve Carlton
CMT-90.  Tony Gwynn
CMT-98.  Ken Griffey Jr.
CMT-100.  Ozzie Smith
CMT-103.  Manny Ramirez

The Cards Your Mother Threw Out are probably my favorite insert cards from this year's set...but as I mentioned before, I wish that Topps would have stopped with Series 1 and replaced the CYMTO with the Vintage Legends cards in Series 2.  As it stands, I'm still missing quite a few of these - but not too many considering how large the insert set is (still need:  CMT- 1, 3, 22, 23, 29, 30, 32, 33, 44, 47, 51, 52, 56, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 68, 73, 74, 80, 81, 83, 85, 86, 88, 95, 96, 101, 104, 105, 106, 108, 111, 112, 113, 115).



Peak Performers:
PP-13.  Mariano Rivera
PP-25.  Chase Utley
PP-36.  Dizzy Dean
PP-55.  George Kell
PP-62.  Jason Bay
PP-67.  Derrek Lee
PP-71.  Carlos Lee
PP-81.  Brandon Phillips

PP-82.  Yogi Berra
PP-97.  Thurman Munson
PP-98.  Victor Martinez

Another insert set that many people seem to have disproved of.  I kind of like it - certainly enough to collect 'em all...which I'm getting close to (still need:  PP- 18, 20, 29, 45, 51, 53, 59, 63, 64, 65, 68, 75, 76, 77, 78, 84, 88, 89, 92, 95).

Thanks a lot David!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to work out a trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments