Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 60: 2001 Fleer Platinum #311

Barry Larkin
Year:  2001
Brand:  Fleer Platinum
Card number:  311

I remember when I first opened a pack of Fleer Platinum - my thoughts were not "wow, what a platinum card!"  In fact, I think I thought they were cheap knockoffs of Topps Heritage's ideas...only with terrible card designs.  Almost a decade later, I still feel basically the same way about Fleer Platinum.  The front of the Larkin card is boring - a boringness that is compounded by the plain white/black player name box and font and the script team name instead of actual team logos.

The back of the card is slightly better, mostly because of the interesting bar charts at the bottom (though I do appreciate the full career statistics).  While I realize Fleer was trying to capitalize on the popularity of "retro", the sad truth is that they simply didn't have classic enough designs to make a set like Platinum work properly.  It's alright though, not every Larkin card can be a favorite - and I'm still glad to have it in my collection!

Comments