Featured Post

Cooking Recipe: Maple-Kissed Spicy Pork Chops

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I would try to make a recipe that I found in a cookbook called Grillin' With Gas by Fred Thompson called Maple-Kissed Pork Chops.

They sounded like the perfect autumnal meal - and in fact, I'm happy to report that they are (with a few tweaks at least).

As I mentioned, this recipe is based on the one found in the book (which I highly recommend picking up for anyone with a gas grill - I've loved almost everything I've tried from the book)!




Maple-Kissed Spicy Pork Chops
Based on a recipe from Grillin' with Gas: 150 Mouthwatering Recipes for Great Grilled Food.  

Ingredients:
8 pork chops, boneless
1 cup apple cider
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Maple syrup (Grade B if you can find it)
3 tablespoons horseradish
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Ground Black pepper
Chopped hot peppers (optional)

The recipe takes about 15 minutes max to prepare the marinade, but you'll want to really soak the pork chops for at least 12 hours before grilling.

1.  In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the pork chops).  Mix well.  If you want a spicier pork chop, cut up a hot pepper or two into small pieces mix with the rest of the ingredients.  I used grade B Maple syrup the first time I made the recipe and grade A Maple syrup the second time.  I like my chops with a stronger maple flavor, so I enjoyed the grade B marinade more.
2.  Remove all fat from the pork chops (trust me on this - if you don't, you'll get some burnt edges when grilling, you might be able to see that in my picture I took while grilling at night)!  Place the pork chops in a large Zip-Lock freezer bag and pour the marinade mix over the pork chops.  Stick the entire bag in a large bowl and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.

3.  Prior to preheating the grill, remove all the pork chops from the marinade and pat dry.  Don't worry if you think the pork chops stink at this point (and trust me, you probably will think they smell rather disgusting at the moment).  They'll smell delicious once they get cooking on the grill!

4.  Pour the remaining marinade into a sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil for at 3 - 5 minutes.  Be careful you closely monitor the sauce and stir often!  Don't leave the marinade on the heat after the 3-5 minutes are up - I find it helpful to place it on the (cool) side burner of your gas grill (if you have one).

5.  Prepare the grill by oiling the racks and preheating for at least 10 minutes.

6.  Place the pork chops on the grill and cook for 5 minutes.  Turn over, brush liberally with the marinade and grill for another 5 minutes.  Repeat the process another two times (for a total cook time of 20 minutes) brushing plenty of marinade on the pork chops after each flip.

7.  Remove the chops from the grill after insuring they are fully cooked and let sit for 10 minutes and then enjoy!

You can serve the extra sauce at the table for dipping if you'd like!

Comments