Featured Post

Gas Station Dream Teams

As a card collector, I know there are more sets out there than just whatever Topps or Upper Deck might be producing in a given year, even if they are unlicensed sets.  In fact, while many people look at today's Upper Deck offerings and scoff at how crappy they are, it is possible to have a nice looking unlicensed set...and for proof of that, all you had to do was enter a Sunoco gas station in 2001.

When I flash back to the summer of 2001, I instantly think of good times.  I graduated high school in the early summer and college was an exciting event that was to begin in the early autumn.  But it was the summer of 2001 that really stood out - a summer where I spent a lot of time traveling, including to see my grandparents in Vermont.  As anyone who has ever driven through upstate New York or Vermont can attest to, there are a lot of Sunoco gas stations around...and for the summer of 2001, that's where I usually filled up.

It wasn't the pump that was special at Sunoco - it was what was inside the little convenience store area - baseball cards!  That's right, in 2001 Sunoco had their own 12 card baseball set - produced by Diamond 141 Collectibles, Coca-Cola (and licensed only by the Major League Baseball Players Association).  The cards came either two or three cards to a pack (my memory fails me and the pack doesn't say)...  Anyhow, I would often spend a couple of extra bucks in there hoping to complete my set, but I never did...  So now, I turn to you readers - can you help me finish off this 12 card set?  I've got a few doubles for trade bait as well!

Here's the checklist for the 2001 Sunoco Dream Team set:
1.  Pirates - Willie Stargell & Bill Mazeroski
2.  Phillies - Mike Schmidt & Steve Carlton
3.  Reds - Tony Perez & Joe Morgan
4.  Yankees - Yogi Berra & Don Mattingly
5.  Orioles - Jim Palmer & Frank Robinson
6.  Red Sox - Carlton Fisk & Luis Tiant  (I need this card)
7.  Red Sox - Fred Lynn & Jim Rice
8.  Tigers - Sparky Anderson & Al Kaline
9.  Phillies - Robin Roberts & Ruchie Ashburn

10.  Mets - Tug McGraw & Gary Carter (I need this card too)
11.  Indians - Lou Broudreau & Bob Feller
12.  Yankees - Roger Maris & Catfish Hunter
The far left side of the page got cut off in the scan, but that's not a problem since I'm missing card #10 anyhow!

As you can see, I am only missing two cards (#6 and #10) which I would love to trade for!  

From the set, I also have a few doubles that I am willing to trade:
3.  Reds - Tony Perez & Joe Morgan
4.  Yankees - Yogi Berra & Don Mattingly
7.  Red Sox - Fred Lynn & Jim Rice
7.  Red Sox - Fred Lynn & Jim Rice
8.  Tigers - Sparky Anderson & Al Kaline
9.  Phillies - Robin Roberts & Ruchie Ashburn
12.  Yankees - Roger Maris & Catfish Hunter
All of these are available for trade!


Sunoco Logo image source:
http://www.cartype.com/pics/410/full/sunoco.jpeg

Comments

  1. very cool concept

    as a O's fan, love that card of Robby and Palmer

    seems gas stations have a pretty rich history of cards....think Esso or someone else did it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a pack of these in 2001 at a Sunoco. But I don't have any you need (I had the Stargell, Lynn-Rice and Ashburn)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of these, unfortunately though not the ones you need. They are pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both of the cards you need. I have a complete set still in the package unopened and my #6 & #10 are the same #6 & #10 you need

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment