Featured Post

How to Have a Successful Blog: Holding Contests

It's true that the World Series is in full gear - and as a baseball fan, I should be excited.  However, since my Reds choked as soon as they made the playoffs, and since the teams I definitely wouldn't want to win are already out, I don't have any particular rooting interests.  Compounding that, so far neither game has been exciting - both have been blowouts severely lacking in drama and excitement.  Thus, I've decided to try and run a series of posts where I'll give my suggestions on how to have a successful blog - and please, chime in with your ideas as well, perhaps this series can become a great resource for future bloggers with everyone's help!

Today's topic involves an (almost) surefire way to increase blog views, and hopefully, earning repeated blog visitors.  Holding contests.

Although I never seemed to have anything worth giving away (more on that in a moment), one of the best ways to get a bunch of blog visitors in a hurry is to hold a contest.  The most successful contests (in terms of raw number of visitors) involve some type of simplistic entry mechanism.  Many bloggers do something along the lines of the following:

1.  Comment on the blog post answering some type of question
2.  Follow the blog
3.  Add a link to your own blog advertising the contest

This can be a great way to get your blog "out there" because every entrant has to link to your blog (meaning all of their readers have a chance to discover your blog) AND many of them will also add your blog to their blog roll giving you a much more permanant presences beyond the contest (which should be the real goal).  After a short amount of time, announce the winner on the blog and commence giving away the prize.  It's an easy process, but here are some possible suggestions to get a better "bang for your giveaway buck."

1.  Make sure your prize is worth winning.  Sure, I may value my eighteen copies of a 1989 Topps Barry Larkin card, but most people consider that to be nothing more than junk wax.  Unopened packs, boxes, and/or relics or autographs seem to be the safest bet.
2.  Make sure you don't over complicate the contest.  There's a difference between a crazy code contest like JD's contest and a typical contest designed to increase blog readership.  If no one can figure out how to enter, they won't bother!
3.  Be careful with requirements.  While I understand the impulse to require a blog link (which is a good idea to increase readership), I personally get a bit annoyed when I'm forced to "follow" a blog to enter.  In my view, if someone chooses to "follow" a blog, that's their way of giving their seal of approval to your blog.  Forcing a following feals a bit like cheating to me - but again, that's only my view (and really, what's a blog for if not to share your own views)?!
4.  After the contest, keep up with content.  If the goal of the contest was to gain readers, the larger goal should be to keep readers coming back!  The only way to make sure that happens is to consistently post content that people want to take the time to read.  
5.  Finally, in another instance of good timing, I'll add a link to a contest over at Georgia Mindset where one lucky reader will win a box of Topps Chrome.  If you'll notice, while there is a "follow" requirement in the contest, I've already added (and followed) the blog awhile back...so to me, it's worth your seal of approval as well!

And now, it's your time readers - what other suggestions and/or ideas do you have in regards to contests?  Anything you think I missed?  Anything you disagree with?  Leave it in the comments below!

Comments

  1. I love this series of posts... thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:23 PM

    FanOfReds,

    Just tuned in .. good job on the series. In terms of the contest, I haven't tried it, and probably won't because I'mm not wired that way ... but I support your point.

    Gaining readership from scratch isn't easy. Next level is keeping them ... or course if they stop blogging is another story. Many of my regulars aren't posting much any more ... so I have to get out there more (which the prior work project prevented that).

    Go Reds in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment