Featured Post

Group Break: Pack Wars: 2000 Fleer Focus vs. 1998 Pinnacle Performers

At this point, I've had a match up between the four main boxes of the group break - each box has been pitted against each other box in an epic pack battle.  However, since I threw in the box of Fleer Focus (minus any cards I need for my own set), I figured that Focus ought to get a chance to claim the pack war victory...  So, it's time to do the first match-up:

2000 Fleer Focus (packs 05 and 06) vs. 1998 Pinnacle Performers (packs 09 and 10)

This particular match-up will have 20 Fleer Focus cards matched up against only 18 Pinnacle cards.  That's okie though, I'll just pair two Focus cards against a single Pinnacle card for each pack.  To keep things fair, I'll make it the first two cards out of the Focus pack against the first Pinnacle card.  In each card breakdown, the Focus card (and score) is listed first.  Let's get it started!

Jason Kendall (Pirates) and A.J. Burnett (Marlins) vs. Rusty Greer (Rangers)
This is an easy choice - either Kendall or Burnett would win over Greer...so the two of them together means poor 'ol Rusty doesn't have a chance.  Also bad for Rusty, when I say poor 'ol Rusty it makes it sound like he's a dog who fell down a well or something.  1-0 Fleer Focus in the early lead.


Derek Jeter (Yankees) vs. Ivan Rodriguez (Rangers)

So Derek is complaining that the Yankees aren't offering him enough money...and the Yankees want to be able to say that Derek is lucky now if he can hit water while falling out of a boat...unfortunately for the pinstripe brass, Jeter is a New York icon who can (and it looks like will) write his own contract.  That said, I'm going to give this win to Jeter because he is currently sticking it to his own team - and that amuses me immensely.  2-0 Focus.


Miguel Tejada (Athletics) vs. Tom Glavine (Braves)
The Tejada card is so much cooler than the Glavine card...but I have to give the win to Glavine regardless - he deserves it (as much as it pains a Reds' fan to say that)!  2-1 Focus still leading.


Mark Grudzielanek (Dodgers) vs. Andruw Jones (Braves)
I was all set to give the victory to whoever faced Grudzielanek just because his last name is so difficult for me to spell...but then the opponent ending up being Andruw (with a "u" not an "e") and all bets were off.   Based entirely on my opinion of the two players alone, Mark G. is the clear winner (and if he only went by Mark G. he'd be a clear winner in my book every time)!  3-1 Focus.


Kenny Rogers (Rangers) vs. Manny Ramirez (Indians)
Back before Manny was Manny, Manny was an Indian.  You can tell he isn't Manny being Manny in the photo since he is actually running after a fly ball.  Just for that display of effort, I'll award Manny the win.  3-2 Focus.


Rusty Greer (Rangers) vs. Paul Konerko (Dodgers)
Sheesh, another Greer card - and thus another Ranger....and he goes against yet another Dodger.  Of course, since Greer apparently fell down the well back in round one, he can't possibly beat Paul Konerko can he?  Tied up at 3 each.


Doug Mientkiewicz (Twins) vs. Jim Thome (Indians)
Remember how I just talked about how spelling challenged I am?  Doug apparently didn't listen.  Thome for the win - and a Pinnacle lead!  3-4.


Stan Musial - Club 3000 (Cardinals) vs. Karim Garcia (Diamondbacks)

This is a great Musial card - and one that I'm going to keep since I don't yet own it.  It's an easy choice for the win!  Tied back up - 4 all now.


Tino Martinez (Yankees) vs. The number 70
I'd love to stick it to the Yankees by picking the number 70 over a guy in pinstripes...but in this case, the number 70 is a bit bent in the corner, making it even more worthless than it is now.  Tino wins.  5-4 Focus after one pack each...halfway done!


Mariano Rivera (Yankees) and Troy Glaus (Angels) vs. Will Clark (Rangers)
Wow, now that's a powerful matchup!  I think the combined might of Rivera and Glaus is enough to over take Clark in this case...which makes it 6-4 Focus leads.


Ugueth Urbina (Expos) vs. Hideo Nomo (Dodgers)

Although the Nomo card says he was traded to the Mets in gold lettering, the logo on the back is still that of LA's.  As such, I classify the Nomo card as a Dodgers card.  Despite the confusion, Nomo still has enough power to take the victory over Urbina.  6-5 Focus.


Brian Giles (Pirates) vs. Frank Thomas (White Sox)
I always liked Giles as a Pirate, but I've liked Thomas as a White Sox for much, much longer.  This win goes to the Big Hurt - and with that, we are all tied at 6!


David Justice (Indians) vs. Jeff Bagwell (Astros)
Hmm, this win either goes to yet another Bagwell card...or the guy who married this woman:
Image source: http://www.highestfive.com/entertainment/halle-berry-a-profile/


Yeah, that's what I thought too.  Justice wins (even if he did end up divorcing Halle Berry)!  7-6 Focus back on top (and no, that's no euphemism).


B.J. Surhoff (Orioles) vs. Kerry Wood (Cubs)
Who to pick?  An old Surhoff who was coming off one the best years of his career...or a young Kerry Wood, full of promise and strikeout potential?  Since this is a group break, it's probably only correct to take the "amazing potential" over the "tried and true".  Kerry wins.  Tied at 7 overall.


Mike Piazza (Mets) vs. Tino Martinez (Yankees)
Oooh, a Subway Series battle - only this time the Mets actually win.  8-7 Focus ahead once again.


Matt Stairs (Athletics) vs. Brian Jordan (Cardinals)
Uhm, two players that I have no pithy commentary for.  Didn't Jordan also play football for a little bit?  I'll give him the win.  Moving along.  8-8.


Jeff Bagwell - Focal Points (Astros) vs. Denny Neagle (Braves)

Once again, I pull a Bagwell card - only this time, I need the card for my own set (so as per my rules, I get to keep it since the group break didn't fill and the Focus box is "extra").  Bagwell wins obviously - as will any card that I actually need unless the opponent is really something special!  9-8 Focus with only one card left!


Shawn Green (Dodgers) vs. Ellis Burks - Swing for the Fences (Rockies)
Normally the insert would win - but I've already pulled this exact Burks card once this break (don't worry, all insert/parallel duplicates will be mailed to whoever claimed the team - unlike duplicate base cards that I don't bother to mail off to save a bit of shipping costs).  As such, let's give the point (and thus the win) to the original card - Green!  10-8 Fleer Focus wins its first match-up!



Final tally:
Fleer Focus 10
Pinnacle Performers 8


Overall Records:
Focus:  1 - 0 - 0
Stadium Club: 2 - 1 - 0
Pinnacle:  1 - 2 - 1
Topps Stars:  1 - 1 - 1
HD:  0 - 1 - 2


Individual card win percentage with actual Win/Loss (for tie breakers)
0.555 Focus:  10 - 8
0.524  Stadium Club:  22 - 20
0.500  Pinnacle:  31 - 31
0.484  HD:  15 - 16
0.476  Topps Stars:  20 - 22

Comments