Featured Post

How Do You Organize?

I'm rapidly approaching the end of the last group break hosted by myself for 2010.  At this point, I've got 30 different team piles spread out on my old kitchen table.

It's exactly because of that mess of piles that I feel compelled to ask:  How do you organize your cards and/or collection?

For myself, when things are spread across a variety of kitchen tables and coffee tables, I keep all of my sets in binders on shelves.

I also have a variety of relatively cheap shelves and cupboards where I store extra cards and my trade bait...along with all the cards that I still need to find time (and space) to put in my binders.  You will notice that I'm fairly obsessive about labeling each and every box.  

So tell me, how do you keep your collection from spiraling out of control?  How do you store your sets?  How do you store your player collections?  How do you store your "extra" cards and your trade bait?  What about all the cards you haven't had time to sort through?  Inquiring minds must know!


PS:  I'm pleased to announce that CSN Stores has continued to treat me as a "Preferred Blogger" (their phrase, not mine) and thus I'll be recieving another item to review sometime soon (most likely between Christmas and New Years I'd guess).  I've also decided to add a Disclosure Policy to my blog which apparently is the thing to do when one is offered advertising dollars and/or products!

Comments

  1. Chris,
    My collection spiraled out of control long ago...
    I have much fewer binders than you... I have about a dozen on the top shelf of a closet - they are all finished sets. I have another dozen on the floor in the dining room - I am working on finishing them. I have metal shelves in my extra bedroom that are FILLED with boxes and boxes of cards (most labeled) as well as thousands of record albums in no particular order. I have quite a few 5000 count boxes that are sort of organized and sit on folding card tables throughout the house. I keep my '65 Topps binder right next to my bed in our bedroom... In my 5000 count shoeboxes, I keep them specific. There is a Carl Crawford box, a vintage box, an autographs box, a team sets to try and build someday box. I have gotten much more organized of late, but I still have a long way to go. For organization and knowing what you have and enjoying them, nothing beats a binder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my Cubs cards are in binders...most of my sets are in binders too...the other sets are in labeled boxes like yours...and everything is in on shelves in the corner of my basement.

    Take a peak here and here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a shelf of binders that hold team sets. I have one big one that holds 50's through 70's then I have lots of binders that only hold 2 years apiece until 2007 where I have so many cards each get their own binder. I keep all my Red Sox cards not binderized in one of two places. I have a box that holds cards in top loaders for things like Jerseys autos, and expensive things. then I have a 5000 count box that holds all my partial team sets that have not been placed in a binder yet. I have tags for each year so I can keep them organized.

    All my non team set stuff is in s cabinet. I have a box of stuff that I consider collectible sets. Things like Heritage, A&G, Goudey. These are all separated and in order. I then have a monster box with everything else in it. It is mostly Bowman and Upper Deck cause I never find anyone that tries to build those sets. (When this box gets full it is time for sending surprise packages to bloggers) I then have 2.5 monster boxes of Red Sox doubles. (I need to find more Red Sox collectors)

    Lastly I have an incoming outgoing shelf. When I get a package I put it on this shelf until I scan cards out of it and mark them off my checklist. I also stack cards I pulled of others on it.

    Unlike you none of my binders are labeled. I have horrible handwriting and I don't want them to look bad so I have never labeled them. Until just now I never thought of printing them with the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organize? I'm unfamiliar with that term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have binders upon binders of sets I collect, Yankees, player collections, and other teams. Trade bait, supplies, and all that good stuff has its own shelf in my cluttered room, and cards that I want to get rid of or don't hold any value just go into a huge count box. I just plan on burning all my useless dupes during the cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My organize consists of stacks, and then heaps, when the stacks fall on the floor. I lost most of my 2010 update set that way, in a brutal cardvalanche that decimated corners, common and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see that everything is in nice order there at headquarters! I wanted to let you know that I almost pulled off a deal with somebody from Montana, and I completed my first trade with someone from Hawaii the other day.

    As far as me, I've got three binders with my sets in progress and two shoe boxes for the good singles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment