Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Check Out My Cards 01

A few days ago, I decided to try out Check Out My Cards.  Taking a look at my want list, I targeted a couple of elusive cards that I needed to finish off some sets...and then because I'm weak-willed, I also ended up adding a few other cards that I needed.

A couple of short days later, the cards arrived in my mailbox.  Let's see 'em!

2008 Topps Heritage (low and high series)
Black Back Variations:
23.  Robinson Cano
69.  San Francisco Giants
227.  Shane Victorino

581.  Gabe Kapler

I'm basically embarassed that I even decided to collect such a pointless parallel set!  That said, the above cards were the last four that I needed for my own set...so at least this story has a happy ending for me!


Then & Now High Series:
TN5.  Bob Allison & Dustin Pedroia

Wouldn't you know it, the day after I ordered this card someone sent it to me in the mail...which means this one is available for trade!


Rookie Performers:
RP15.  Jay Bruce

It's rare that when my want list for a given set gets small that one of the few remaining missing cards is a Red - but that's the case with Mr. Bruce.  I guess no one else wanted to trade him to me - so purchase him I did!


2009 Topps American Heritage Heroes:
80.  Eleanor Roosevelt
105.  "I Only Regret That I Have But One Life to Give My Country"

I needed these two cards for my set (but unfortunately, I still need a few more before I can fully cross this one off my want list).


2001 Sunoco Dream Team:
6.  Carlton Fisk & Luis Tiant

This is a pretty cool "oddball" set - and one that I'm now one card away from having complete.  I was surprised to find this one on the site...unfortunately, the other card I was missing (Tug McGraw and Gary Carter) wasn't present anywhere or I'd be able to knock this off the 'ol want list completely as well!


2009 Topps Allen & Ginter:
National Heroes:
NH19.  Vasil Lavski
NH27.  Alfonso Ugarte

I thought this mini insert set would be easy to complete, but trading for 2009 Ginter minis has almost slowed to a standstill lately - and unfortunately for me, I still am looking for a few more mini cards!  At least the National Heroes mini set is finally complete - and thus, my want list shrinks a bit more!


2008 Topps Allen & Ginter:
Ancient Icons:
A17.  Achilles

The year 2008 was the first year that I actively collected multiple sets in an effort to complete them.  It was also the first year I bought a large amount of Allen & Ginter cards - and now, I stand a mere 4 cards away from having another two of the mini sets (and all the portions of the set that I decided to chase) complete!  I only need a pair of Ancient Icons and a pair of Team Orange cards.


That's it for my first foray into COMC.  Overall, I was happy with the shipping time -though the shipping costs were a bit high.  The total cost of the twelve cards after shipping was just over $15.00...  So basically, for a bit less money than a blaster, I was able to complete two sets completely and knock another nine cards off other assorted want lists (and acquire a duplicate that maybe I can trade for something else that I need in the future).

Comments

  1. Shipping is definitely the devil with COMC. I usually buy relics/autos/rarities on COMC and singles on Sportlots. And the rarer stuff on Beckett/Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shipping seems high on COMC until you compare it to how much it would cost to ship each of the cards individually from separate sellers on eBay. It can be a lot to pay all at once though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment