Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Debate: Why the 1989 Randy Johnson Card is a Top 60 Card.

Some well respected (by me at least) bloggers out there have been upset about the inclusion of the 1989 Topps Randy Johnson card as a Top 60 card for Topps.

I didn't actually vote at all (somehow missed the memo on that one, whoops) but I'm never one to shy away from playing devil's advocate (as I did with Gypsy Queen a few days ago).  So here's why Randy Johnson belongs.

1.  An iconic card should represent more than just the player.  Whether its the tip of the gimmick iceberg like the Bush/Mantle/Jeter card to the left or a Mickey Mantle rookie card, certain cards are instantly iconic to collectors.  However, there's another type of iconic card, one that ushers in a feeling of an era - and that's where the Randy Johnson card excels.  Randy's rocking the 80s mullet (which he never lost...guess he didn't buy any style magazines).  Randy's playing for a team that no longer exists.  Randy was a great pitcher in an era of plenty of great pitchers (and juiced up hitters too)!  When you think of Randy Johnson, you should immediately think of an overpowering, somewhat scary, fastball (and that incident with John Kruk).  In short, Randy sums up a large part of the 90s baseball, and his '89 card is a beautiful representation of all that above.

2.  I don't know how how Topps is doing this, but I'm guessing there will be one card per year?  If so, what other 1989 card would you rather have?  Me, personally, the 1989 Chris Sabo Topps card is the perfect card...and was my first favorite card ever (but that's a post for another day).
Assuming Sabo doesn't make the cut, I'm happy with Randy Johnson in the set.  I'm sick and tired of the same players in every set.  If there could be a set celebrating modern stars without an influx of Jeter, Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds I'd be happy!  Randy is one such star who has been relatively unheralded...and that's a shame (which makes this pick even better)!




3.  If you don't buy either of the above reasons, then there's this:  Topps does whatever it d*mn well pleases.

Comments

  1. Nice try! However, I would have trouble even placing this card in the top 60 of the 1989 Topps set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. '89 was my favorite set as a kid, and the first set I collected, but I still wouldn't have Randy be an option for the top 60 of all time.

    That said, IF I had to choose a card to represent 89, it's gotta be Sheff with the fancy teeth, right? I think he represents a lot of what was good (and bad) with the 90's in many ways - seems a natural fit to me. Plus it's still one of the more valuable cards in the set (which can also be said for Randy I suppose).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topps LIVES by the motto "Topps does whatever it damn well pleases." It's what makes them such sweethearts.

    The Johnson card isn't within even the top 1,000 best cards. And I wouldn't choose any '89 card for that list even though I have very personal, fond memories for that set. But if I had to, I suppose I'd go with Sheff. I have too many of that card, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:39 PM

    For me, the key card in '89, without question, was the Jefferies Future Star. I mean, that card was HUGE! Everyone was chasing it. It was worth $3 back then, which was a lot, and I remember buying Mets team sets just for that card (and I hate the Mets). Because of it's history, I still think of that card as being iconic - it doesn't matter that it's worth 5 cents now.

    Runner-up in that set would be the Abbott #1 draft pick card. Good hype on that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completey agree that the Jeffries is the '89 card to make the cut. No card symbolizes the junk wax era more to me than that one. Maybe Topps wants to change the conversation to whether or not Johnson was a great pitcher or whatever, but that's an exercise in futility. Nothing says worthless like a 1989 Topps image. -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only obvious reason is that Johnson is sure-fire Hall of Famer and Topps missed on putting Ken Griffey Jr. in their flagship set.

    That Johnson is butt ugly - he isn't even pictured with the Mariners yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment