Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Contest Winnings from Jon at Community Gum

Not all that long ago, I participated in a contest held over on the Community Gum blog.  To enter, one had to pick a player, some statistics, a few random guesses, and think the fourth requirement was to sacrifice a goat or something.  Needless to say, I actually have no idea what I was supposed to do, though I'm fairly certain whatever it was I did do was most likely totally wrong.

As with most things, I lost the contest - but Jon didn't want anyone to feel like a total loser so he said that everyone would be getting something, most likely cards of your team but not your player (or something like that, maybe a goat, again, I don't really know.  Reading's for chumps).  And yes, I ended a sentence in the middle of a parenthetical aside.  Deal with it grammar Nazi's.

Anyhow, a funny thing happened as Jon packaged up the prize cards - he ran out of some of the teams.  Apparently a higher end Topps set is chock full of Cincinnati Reds cards.  Go figure...they had all of one star player in the last decade (who was hurt for what seemed six continuous years).  So, I did what any decent, self-respecting (and totally un-prize deserving) person should do.  I emailed Jon and told him to "send whatever you want, make it trade bait I can use for other purposes."  And so, Jon did just that (and he still managed to send a Griffey my way too)!

Here's the three prize* cards:
*No goats were injured in the winning of these three cards.  I can't speak for the other contestants.

First, the card I know I'll be keeping:
33.  Ken Griffey Jr.  #086/150

I have no idea what to make of the set.  I don't buy high-end stuff like this much (or ever, actually).  I think this is a numbered base card...and I think all the base cards are numbered.  I don't know why Topps Gold cards in the base set are sought after (#ed to the current year) while these base cards often get trashed by collectors looking for the "big nasty mojo hit".  Sometimes I don't get this hobby.

85.  Jim Thome #06/25

To me, a card numbered out of 25 is super rare.  Clearly I need to get out to a hobby shop and buy packs rather than relying on the good 'ol Wal*Mart rack of pre-pack-searched packs (you know, removing any lingering hope of a crappy hit, nice to not have to worry about that).

119.  Manny Ramirez #10/25

Another nice card, though apparently Manny Ramirez is no longer in collector's good graces since no one will trade me a single card off my want list for a stack of 17 cards, including Manny and three inserts (one of which is a kickin' sticker card).

Thanks for the cards Jon, it was nice to be rewarded for doing (most likely) nothing correct!

Comments

  1. If I had anything to send you, I would have claimed the Trade Stack based solely on the Manny card.

    But alas, I haven't found anything you need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment