Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

New Odd Ball Additions to my Want List

Although the new semester of teaching began last Monday, I've still been working hard organizing my cards during what little free time I still have.  Today, I decided to take a look through my binder that I labeled "Odd Ball Sets" at one point to see if I was close enough to finishing any of the sets to make it worthwhile to keep them in the binder.

As it turned out, I was - and so, I've added three more cards to my want list.

First, from the 2001 Post Cereal set, I'm missing a single card (#6 of Harmon Killebrew).

The 2001 Post Cereal set contains a mere eight cards - each of which depicts a player in the 500 Home Run Club.  As you can see in the above scan, I have seven of the eight cards - and a blank spot where Mr. Killebrew should reside.

The second set that I realized I was tantalizingly close to finishing requires only two cards (and it is a 220 card set).  The 1988 Pacific Legends set was a complete set gift given to my brother and I when we were young.  Unfortunately for my collection, my brother and I decided the only fair thing to do with our shared gift was to split the cards up.  I don't remember exactly how we did that, except I know that I got all the Reds, he got all the Pirates (his favorite team at the time), and I believe we "drafted" the rest.

I will say, as a baseball fan, you probably couldn't find a better "junk wax era" set to use a draft.  I imagine it went something like this:

Me:  Ok, I'll take Hank Aaron.

My Brother:  Fair enough, I'll take Jackie Robinson.

And so on.

A set packed with (mostly) the best stars, managers, and sports personalities that baseball has ever seen.  As my brother and I grew up, he lost interest in baseball - and baseball cards.  Eventually reaching the point where he "sold" me his cards, probably for ten bucks or something, though I no longer recall exactly.  As I went though and sorted his cards, I tried to reassemble the 1988 Pacific Legend set - and that's when I first noticed that two cards were no longer in our combined collection.  For years I figured I'd never have the set complete and thus forgot about it - but now with things like eBay, Check Out My Cards, and hopefully my great blog readers, I'll be able to once again claim a full set of a set that reminds me of the good times in my childhood!

As for what I'm missing, it's only two cards:

64.  Ralph Terry
111.  Reggie Jackson

Any help with either set (or anything else I'm trying to collect) would be much appreciated!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:45 PM

    Shoot, dude, I think I have that Killebrew, and a few others, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:59 PM

    I have TWO extra Post Killebrews. Maybe we'll have an excuse to trade with each other now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to trade! Maybe some Twins for that card? Maybe (even better) a larger trade? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Hopefully my email gets to you then

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment