Featured Post

2011 Topps 4 Rack Packs vs. 1 Blaster

I've detailed the contents of four rack packs and one blaster (all purchased from Target).  Now it's time to compare the two to see if we can determine which is the better buy (depending, of course, upon what you are hoping to find).

4 Rack Packs (Target)
Card Type
1 Blaster (Target)
$4.99 x4 = $19.96
Cost
$19.99
112
Base Cards
41
84
Non Duplicate Base Cards
41
0
“Throwback” Base Cards
11
0
Commemorative Patch
1
4
Topps Town
10
1
Diamond Giveaway Codes
1
4
60 Years of Topps
4
1
60 Years of Topps Original Backs
0
2
60 Years of Topps:  The Lost Cards
1
1
Gold Parallel
0
4
Diamond Parallel
3
4
Diamond Duos
2
3
Vintage Reproductions
1
0
History of Topps
1
4
Topps 60
2
4
Kimball Champions
3

As you can see, for basically the same cost (3 cents different), you can end up with a vastly different set of cards.  From my experiment, there are a few things that are obvious.  If you want Topps Town code cards, buy a blaster.  You get one Topps Town card per pack, no matter what kind (or what size) the pack is.  Blasters yield more packs, thus more Topps Town.  If you want regular base cards, buy rack packs.  112 base cards (where 84 were unique amongst the 112 cards) out of four rack packs is a pretty good deal.  It appears that the Diamond Parallel chasing people such as myself will do slightly better with rack packs – in fact, if you look at the blaster odds, I actually beat the odds by pulling three diamond parallels in my blaster.  As you glance down the list, it appears that rack packs are the better choice for just about all the other inserts (or are basically the same statistically).  Blasters do have the advantage of guaranteeing a commemorative patch card – though rack packs do offer the chance (albeit slim) to pull an auto or relic (blasters do not)!  In the end, I think I’m going to stay away from the blasters whenever I have a choice – for me, the value is in the base cards, inserts (especially the diamond parallels), and the potential for an auto/relic.


Comments

  1. Anonymous10:23 AM

    No throwbacks in the rack packs? Still, timely advice -- thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how other felt about that. I ended up REALLY beating the rack pack odds---3 Diamond Giveaway cards. Anyway, I also think they're a better deal than the blasters this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would there be no opportunity for an auto or relic in the blaster? Does it specifically say that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no throwbacks in rack packs. According to the odds on the blaster packaging, there are no relics or autos listed! I took that to mean you couldn't pull any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great breakdown. I'll play devil's advocate and point out that, from a "rip and flip" standpoint (the riskiest and possibly most delusional standpoint), blasters get the square. The patch cards usually get a few bucks and the throwbacks can sell all right over time (especially if you get a star). I'd say your chances of breaking even on retail Topps are slim to none, but if you're looking for one or two particular cards and hoping to sell off some of the others to pay for the journey, blasters as probably the better bet. -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great point - one that I didn't realize at first but I did just list three of the throwback cards on eBay (Buster Posey, the Red Sox team card, and the Markakis). We'll see if that tilts the playing field at all. Normally, I'd also list the patch card but I'm kind of want to keep the Votto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just a note to say i started reading your blog a week ago when i came upon it - very nice work, and i am enjoying following it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment