Featured Post

Delivery Time! 4 More 2011 Topps Cards - Thanks Rhubarb!

Rhubarb:  Rhubarb is a perennial vegetable that grows well in most of the United States. Rhubarb is used in pies, tarts and sauces. Rhubarb should be planted at the end of one side of the garden where it will not be disturbed since it may be productive for five years or more. A half-dozen plants will provide enough rhubarb for a family of four (source).

Common Problems:  Rhubarb curculio, a snout beetle, bores into the stalks, crowns and roots of rhubarb plants. It also attacks wild dock, a weed that is prevalent in many areas of the country. Destroy all wild dock growing around the garden. Treat the base of plants with a suggested insecticide. Burn badly infected rhubarb plant parts in July after the beetles have laid their eggs (source).




Thanks to my most recent trade with David (also known as Rhubarb Runner and author of this blog), I was able to knock 4 more cards off my want list...and in the process learn a little bit more about that red-stalked vegetable!  


Here are the cards David sent my way in exchange for a 2011 Topps Target parallel Twins card (that met an unfortunate end once David opened the package)...


History of Topps:
HOT-3.  Sy Berger Creates the First Complete Set

Most collectors seem to be rather down on these inserts, but I kind of like them.  They are (in my opinion) the perfect type of insert set for Topps' 60th Anniversary set...unlike the next insert set...


Vintage Reproductions:
CMGR-16.  Jimmie Foxx

I like this set as well, but it simply doesn't belong in an anniversary edition of Topps.  Topps had nothing to do with this card (or any other card in the set) - so why are they featured this year?  Plain goofy if you ask me.


Topps Town:
TT-26.  Matt Garza

Ok, it's a boring insert - but hey, I've collected the stupid thing the last few years, why stop now?  (And it's usually fairly easy to collect since most people don't want them - and I don't care if the code is used beforehand).


Diamond Duos:
DD-CS.  Steve Carlton & CC Sabathia

A nice enough card, even if it does have CC on one side of it...


Thanks for the cards David - and for inspiring me to learn more about a vegetable that I only knew of its existence in things like Strawberry-Rhubarb pie before now!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:19 AM

    Don't forget, the leaves of the rhubarb plant are poisonous!

    Thanks again for the trade, and for the lesson in card handling safety ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had rhubarb pie. Once.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment