Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 97: 1995 Dennys - #13

Barry Larkin
Year:  1995
Brand:  Dennys
Card number:  13

The 1995 Denny's set could be acquired by ordering meals from Dennys.  I never ate at Dennys much growing up - and I know this card arrived via a trade at some point - so I don't know if there was a certain type of meal you had to eat or not to get a baseball card.  If they had it back then, I'm guessing the Grand Slam Breakfast would have netted you a card.

As for the card itself, it's an interesting holographic card - something unusual for "off brand" baseball cards.  It's also interesting because it is licensed, the Reds logo is quite apparent on Larkin's hat and jersey and the full team name and logo are used on the front and back of the card.

I believe the card is fairly nice - but the I do think the "real" photo of Larkin that is in square on the front of the card is a bit jarring to the eye.  The natural place to look is at the holographic - I think the front of the card would have been better if it only had the holographic photo and the real life action shot was used on the back.  Even so, it's a great addition to my Larkin Collection!

Comments

  1. I remember this set well. I actually did a science project on holograms in middle school and included a few of these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda creepy how his face comes out of the fog..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment