Featured Post

Topps National Chicle: Packs 09, 10, and 11

I've decided to go back to three packs per post - mostly because I want to hurry up and see how close I am to finishing the set, plus I'm impatient when opening packs!  The next three packs didn't offer any retail mojo, but they did include some nice cards...

Pack 09:
62.  Chad Billingsley
65.  Clayton Kershaw
102.  Adam Wainwright
154.  Derek Lowe
157.  Jimmy Rollins
249.  Nolan Ryan
I'm a big fan of the retired stars - though this card isn't my favorite of the ones I've seen.  It sort of looks like the artist got tired halfway through the painting and just sort of stopped.  The back of the card claims that that the artist, Paul Lempa, has been "creating unique hand-painted sports memorabilia since 2000 (and he has) rendered life-like imagery of hundreds of athletes on everything from canvas to actual footballs."  Apparently, Mr. Lempa has not rendered life-like images of athletes on baseball cards yet.




Pack 10:
53.  Marco Scutaro
105.  Mark Reynolds
192.  J.D. Drew
222.  Lou Brock
224.  Al Kaline
188.  Rich Harden - National Chicle back
Ugh, alright, enough with the variation backs.  I'm actually getting annoyed when I pull these - they simply mean I don't get a card that I need/want for my set.  And if I have to pull the variation backs, why can't they ever be of a player (or team) that I collect?  Like the others, the Harden is up for trade.










Pack 11:
25.  Aaron Hill
43.  Ian Kinsler
88.  Jorge Cantu
172.  Gavin Floyd
242.  Mickey Mantle
301.  Albert Pujols - Vintage Veteran Short Print
The Pujols is a nice card, both in terms of design and also in that I needed the card for my set...and most people don't seem keen on giving up their Pujols cards!  As for the Mantle card, normally I'd like it but I'm so burnt out when it comes to the Mick that I simply no longer care about any of his cards.  See what you've done Topps?!
Checklist 2






Another three packs opened and sorted - and a nice short print this time around.  So far, I'm still having fun opening the box though I do feel like I've hit a rut in terms of painting quality.  Hopefully, I'll find some true masterpieces in the second half of the box.

Comments

Post a Comment