Featured Post

2011 Topps Heritage Target Blaster - Pack 5

I know I've really drawn out this Heritage blaster - that's as much of an indication as any that I probably shouldn't bother trying to collect the set.  However, every time I hold the actual cards in my hand I really like them!  Maybe I could go for the first 425 and not bother with the short prints...(I say that often but I always end up trying for the short prints too, it's an addiction that I can't break).

I suppose I still have time to decide, maybe the next four packs will sway me to one side or the other for good.

Pack 5:


13.  Cliff Pennington

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but Topps deserves major kudos for their write-ups on the card backs.  For the most part, I've actually learned something from each card - I only wish they would have put the same amount of dedication in for their base set write-ups!


19. Jake McGee

I never heard of McGee - but according to his bio he did not allow a hit in his first six MLB games.  He did allow 90 hits though in 30 minor league games last year.


29.  Terry Collins

How do Mets fans feel about Collins?  I don't know much about him, good or bad.


56.  NL ERA Leaders

Not only are the card backs informative in general, the league leader cards are extra awesome.  This particular card is probably the best yet - it features the NL ERA leaders (with 162 innings).  However, it also has a top five for pitchers who had at least 100 innings as well - a group that includes Travis Wood of the Reds.  


88.  Joe Girardi

My second manager card of the pack - this would have been an awfully boring single pack if I had purchased it that way.  I do like the Yankee Stadium background on Girardi's card, it's certainly fitting.


265.  Derrek Lee

I'm glad Lee is in the American League now since he always seemed to hurt the Reds whenever the Cubs and Reds clashed.  He shouldn't get nearly the opportunities to mess with my club now that he's on the Orioles squad.


307.  Jair Jurrjens

I'd really like to know what ballpark that is in the background - any card sleuths up to the challenge of identification?


316.  Joe Mauer

Apparently, the subset cards with the different photos all feature the player's full career statistics rather than the normal one line of stats on regular base cards.  I'm not sure how I feel about that - it sort of wrecks the flow of the set.  On the other hand, I love full statistics and this is a way to introduce a little of that while still having the majority of the cards feature cartoons and nice write-ups.


336.  John Lackey

Lackey wins the prize for the most boring photo of the pack, maybe even of the blaster so far.


And there it is, five packs down.  So far, I've uncovered two short prints, one insert, and nothing else of note. I like the extra card per pack (or the multiple extra cards in some cases), but I actually miss the bubble gum from previous years.  Oh sure, it was only tasty for about 22 seconds, but those were some delicious 22 seconds!

Comments

  1. On the Jair card, I'm pretty sure thats there spring training park. ESPN wild world of sports complex.

    A while back another blogger had a picture of him standing in the same spot as a Kelly Johnson card and it looked just like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment