Featured Post

Delivery Time! Cards from the Sandlot (plus a Mystery!)

Now that I've managed to catch up with all the emails, I am beginning to see the fruits of my labor show up in the mailbox.  One such fruit was a package from Joe over at The Sandlot.  I sent Joe a small pile of Mets - in return, he sent me a larger pile of Reds plus a few cards that I needed from my want list!  Since this trade wasn't quite big enough to warrant a Top 10 - let's do a Top 5 instead.

#5:  
Topps Town - Series 2:
TT2-11.  Kendrys Morales


I'm guessing I'm the only one who actually collects the Topps Town set - but I figure that ought to make for some easy trade bait for other people to send me when they claim trade stacks if nothing else!  As for the card, the back offered up an interesting tidbit:  "Kendrys was the No. 1 pitcher and cleanup hitter on Cuba's equivalent of a Triple-A squad when he was just 17."  That's pretty solid if you ask me!

#4:
2005 Upper Deck Classics:
88.  Ted Kluszewski


Oh sure, I already had this card but you can't argue with how awesome it is.  The biceps, the old timey baseball head logo, and the cold, glassy stare of Big Klu make this card an instant favorite in my collection!

#3:  2000 Fleer Showcase:
121.  Gookie Dawkins (# 0057/2000)


Joe attached a note to this card saying that he hoped I didn't pull one of these in my recent group break where I busted a box of Showcase.  I, of course, did not pull such a thing because I don't ever pull cool Reds cards in the group breaks that I host.  Thus, this card is much appreciated - I should have the full team set now (or at least very close to it).

#2:  2011 Topps
Topps 60:
65.  Don Mattingly


I happen to like the Topps 60 insert set quite a bit, especially the ones where the category is either relevant or at least interesting.  In Mattingly's case, he ranks #1 in career assists by a Yankee first baseman (a mere 17 assists ahead of Lou Gehrig).

#1.  1997 Donruss ??
8.  Barry Larkin (# 0046/1000)


As you can see by the above note, Joe didn't know what this card was exactly.  Unfortunately, neither do I!  Thus, the mystery.  Do any of you, my wonderful (and brilliant) readers know what set this card belongs to?  I can't properly add it to my Larkin Collection without having all the set details!  Mystery or not, this card is #1 in the trade package simply because it is a brand new Larkin for my collection AND it is a relatively rare card, always nice to acquire as a bonus!

Thanks for all the great cards Joe!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. Using Beckett's site, I believe you have a 1997 Donruss Team Sets MVP's #8 Barry Larkin. It's the only /1,000 that matches anything up to yours, but I'd say that's a good fit!

    http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1997/donruss-team-sets-mvps/8-barry-larkin-4186903

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spastik Mooss is correct. I've added that set to Zistle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as people bash Beckett, it does come in handy during times like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment