Featured Post

Delivery Time: I Participate in Other's Group Breaks Too!

Although my blog has been inundated with posts for my own group break, I still try to find time to participate in other people's group breaks too (especially if it's for boxes based on years where I might land a new Barry Larkin card for my collection).  One person who does a lot of breaks of similar products to me is Colbey over at Cardboard Collections.  I've participated in a bunch of Colbey's breaks over the last few months, in fact, I think I have two or three packages from him that I haven't yet featured on my blog.  However, I can remedy that a bit today by posting a few of my favorites from one of his breaks (this one is from May).

I ended up with just the Reds (I've begun to branch out and grab a couple of teams to replenish my trade bait in other breaks - including some of Colbey's other breaks as you'll see on my blog eventually).  Anyhow, this break consisted of a bunch of set (97 Upper Deck, 97 Pacific Prism Invincible, 96 Fleer Emotion-XL, and 95 Topps).  It's refreshing sometimes to see a break that isn't all about the big hits!

How'd I do?  Well, I'm not particularly fond of most of the actual sets in the break, but I was still happy with what I ended up with.  I figured I'd show my favorite card or two from each of the boxes:

'97 Upper Deck:
43.  Hal Morris

I ended up with two of the Morris cards which is probably the best of the bunch from the 1997 Upper Deck cards I got.  Overall, I don't really care for the Upper Deck set at all - the gold/bronze wood thing at the bottom is quite tacky - and the silver for the team logo basically makes this look like a bunch of rejected Olympic medals melted down on a baseball card.


'97 Pacific Prism Invincible:

These are probably my favorite three cards of the break (and, as it turns out, the only Pacific cards that I got).  The Larkin and Davis both have a clear cut window where the player's mugshot resides.  I didn't have the Larkin previously so that makes this break regardless of the rest of the cards!  I love Pacific products but have a terrible time tracking down unopened Pacific boxes...if anyone happens to know where I might find some online let me know!


'96 Fleer Emotion-XL:
167.  Mark Portugal

I can't think of a better word than hurling as an emotion for Reds pitching for most of the last two decades.  I don't think that's what the card designers over at Fleer/Skybox had in mind when they made this card but it sure seems apropos to me.


'95 Topps:
189.  Cyber Stats:  Barry Larkin

I had the regular Larkin from the '95 set already, but I didn't have the Cyber Stats version of Barry yet.  That makes it two new Larkins for me out of one group break - not bad at all!

Comments