Featured Post

A Few Blog Questions

Alright, I've had the same blog template since I started this thing back on June 17, 2008.  (As a side note, wow, I celebrated my three year blogging anniversary without even realizing it!)  However, like with most things, one eventually grows tired...

Now, don't worry, I'm not about to hang up the proverbial blogging spikes.  What I do want to do, however, is a complete redesign of my blog - and that's where you, my loyal readers, come in.  I'd appreciate any (and all) feedback, both positive and negative - and don't worry, my current template is one that I didn't make myself, so my feelings won't be hurt.

Alright, here are the questions:

1.  In regards to my current blog design, what do you particularly like about it?
2.  What do you particularly dislike about it?
3.  Can you find what you want on my blog without much difficulty (or time)?
4.  Are you someone who reads on mobile devices?  If so, how does my blog fare for you?
5.  Are the ads too obtrusive, not obtrusive enough, or just right?
6.  What do you think of the color scheme?
7.  Should there be more or less content on the side bar?
8.  Is the three column approach ok or overwhelming?

And now, a few questions for my new redesign:
9.  What do you find most useful or interesting about my blog (i.e. what should I try to highlight with the new design)?
10.  Are you interested in following other social platforms besides my blog (things like Facebook, Twitter, etc.)?
11.  Would you prefer my want lists (and have lists) continue to be posted like they are now or would you find it easier if they were Google documents?
12.  Do you prefer light backgrounds with dark text or dark backgrounds with light text?

Anything I missed or didn't think of?  Feel free to mention it!  I'm looking forward to any responses - and I hope you guys look forward to a new blog design before too long!

Comments

  1. Looks good on my phone.

    moe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely my opinions, take them for what they are worth... probably not much... haha!

    1) You have a lot of detail, which I'll also address in #2! But you give a good amount of detail and it's easy to navigate. The colors don't conflict, which makes easy reading.
    2) A bit too much going on in the side bar. If you're not getting a lot of results (like I wasn't) from the google ad bar, I'd take it out. It's out of place and doesn't fit with everything else you've got going on. I'd also design a top-o-the-page banner. To me, it helps identify/define the blog.
    3) Yes, the only difficulty was finding an e-mail address, but over time I figured it out. More novice blog readers may have difficulty finding it too...
    4) N/A
    5) Oh, ok, see #2... a bit much and out of place, maybe just go with the blog sponsors?
    6) Like the color scheme. Anything that doesn't have bright clashes is fine by me.
    7) Less
    8) I prefer more simplified, but to each their own, 2 columns is fine by me.
    9) The posts are most useful. The other peripherals only come into play when I want to put a trade together or are researching an old post or something.
    10) If you have a twitter feed, I'll "follow" it, but I don't get over to the twitter site often enough to make it useful and facebook is becoming less and less useful to me over time.
    11) I prefer google docs spreadsheets for the simplicity and quick reference. But both work well enough for me to find something to offer.
    12) No preference. It all shows up pretty much the same in Google Reader, where I end up reading most of the blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the person who cares the most about the blog is the blog author and they can do whatever they want without need for others' input. But since you asked:

    1. It's unique. There is no baseball card blog that looks like this one.
    2. No dislikes
    3. Mostly what I'm looking for on your blog is a want list, and it's never been an issue.
    4. I read on my cell periodically, I don't remember having any issues with your blog.
    5. I think ads detract from the look of a blog, but it's never anything that bothers me enough not to read something.
    6. See #1.
    7. Sidebar's cool with me.
    8. Never gave the column set-up a thought. Looks fine.

    9. Except for your non-card subjects, you're pretty much a "here are the cards" blog. That's cool with me. But it makes it difficult to pick out a "what's the best" feature.
    10. I'm on twitter, but I don't care whether everyone is there or not. Blogs > Twitter.
    11. Keep your want lists exactly the way they are.
    12. Your blog is very readable. Dark on light is best. I speak from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. It is defiantly unique. I wouldn't want you to change it to much.
    2. It is one of the slower loading blogs. Night Owl used to have the slowest loading one but whatever he did sped him up to one of the fastest, which left you at the bottom. It really only matters if I have a weak wireless signal though.
    3. Yes. Want list right on top is great.
    4. No
    5. I am add blind. You could have one before and after each post and i wouldn't notice.
    6. Like I said before your blog design is unique. In other words, leave it alone.
    7. It doesn't matter. I can find what I want. The rest is just there.
    8. As long as the want list is at the top do whatever you want with the columns.
    9. Refer to question 6 about new blog design.
    10. No, actually, Hell no!!
    11. I can find whatever I want on your list so no big deal. As a Google doc user that used to have a want list like yours though Google Docs is way more user friendly when making the lists.
    12. Refer to number 6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, gotta say, I didn't expect that. I'm almost a little sad that people don't seem to want me to change...at all! I appreciate the comments and suggestions though - keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I wrote over 4096 characters. I cut/pasted it into an email. I need to learn to write less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it when people put their want lists on Google Docs. While I'm at a card shop I can access Google Docs from my phone and check to see if someone wants a particular card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment