Featured Post

Group Break #6: 2003 Topps 205 - Pack 1

It's time to start the last of the four boxes:  2003 Topps 205.  This set is pretty nice (based on the first pack) but crazy confusing.  So confusing, in fact, that there is an entire webpage that Makes Sense of Topps 205.  I think I will be referring to that page quite a bit as I bust this box open!

Now, on to the first pack:

2003 Topps 205:
Pack 1:


5.  Bartolo Colon - White Sox

51.  Sammy Sosa - Cubs

The Sosa base card has two different variations.  I don't know for sure which this one happens to be, maybe if we pull the other we can figure out the differences...
70.  Brian Giles - Pirates

79.  Francisco Rodriguez - Angels

105.  Eric Hinske - Blue Jays

138. Brian Burgamy - Padres

Folder:  Rodriguez (Rangers) and Palmeiro (Rangers)

The folder cards are a one per pack insert (and are quite cool).  They have a tiny bit of glue or something holding them shut so I won't open it up to scan but if you were to open it up, you get a black and white photo of the two featured players that is flanked by the two individual color portraits.  These are really quite cool - if I pull an all-Reds or all-Royals folder I'll open it up and scan it so you guys can see what they look like.  As for the folders themselves, I believe most of the folders are actually multi-team cards (when and if we pull multi-team cards, I'll random them off amongst the represented teams at the end of the break).
Mini - Drum back:
131.  Hanley Ramirez - Boston

I never knew Hanley was a Red Sox...  When I looked at the front I assumed it was a Manny Ramirez card but the back clearly says Hanley.  I looked it up, Hanley played exactly 2 games for the Red Sox in 2005 getting a total of two at bats (both were strike outs).  This is a Drum back mini which appears to be a rare mini back!  

Comments

  1. You've got the "Head Duck" version of the Sammy Sosa card.

    Here is the other version, "Head Left." It doesn't look like there's much difference in price between the two.

    They needed to make a "Head Too Big" if they really wanted to capture Sammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I opened tons and tons of 205. I have an almost complete master set of minis because the boxes each came with a mini box of all minis. They are awesome. Drums are incredibly hard to find and that's a Hanley RC right there if memory serves! Great start! -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a sharp mini. That's two good packs in a row for the Rangers!

    Word Verification: dinger!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment