Featured Post

Delivery Time! Top 10: The Dimwit Delivers Mexican Hats, Relics, and uhm...a Lave?

It wasn't all that long ago that I sent Samuel (over at The Daily Dimwit) a ton of cards (ok, it wasn't a ton but if I recall shipping was $10 or $11 so it was quite a few)!  Basically, I was able to help him finish his entire 2011 Ginter set (except for one base card).  I also sent him a sparkly diamond card plus some other Houston goodies.  In return, he sent me a whole bunch of stuff off of my own want list.

Since the package of cards that Samuel sent me in return also held a bunch of goodies, it's time for another Top 10!

#10:   
2011 Topps:
Topps Town:
TT2-26.  Trevor Cahill

Oh sure, this card sucks.  I agree.  Topps Town in general sucks.  That said, this card still makes the Top 10 because it means I'm one card closer to having the Topps Town set (and I swear I won't make the mistake of collecting this set for the third consecutive year).

#9:
2011 Topps:
Diamond Parallel:
648.  Cody Ross

I happen to like the photo in for the Ross card quite a bit - and I think the diamond treatment works well with this particular card.  Samuel sent me a nice sized stack of diamond parallels (you'll see another one in the countdown) - and for each card he has earned himself another entry in my Complete Set Giveaway Contest.

 #8:
2011 Topps:
Topps 60:

T60-71.  Willie Stargell

I'm forever a Reds fan (though I've threatened to become a Pirates fan in the past) but I will admit that the Pirates are probably my second favorite team.  Luckily (or not, depending on how you look at it), neither the Reds nor the Pirates have been particularly bitter rivals despite residing in the same division...they've simply neither been good at the same time lately (or in the Pirates case, they haven't been good at all except for half a season here and there).

#7:
2011 Topps:
60 Years of Topps:
60YOT-76.  Ernie Banks

This card is a reprint of cardboard gold:  True vintage, great grin, and a goofy sleeve patch.  Oh yeah, a great player too.

#6:
2011 Topps:
Diamond parallel:
360. Ivan Rodriguez

I imagine the conversation going something like this:  "Don't worry Strassy.  You might have a busted arm but Topps will have a love affair with you for two years with very little good reason.  What's that you said?  Yeah, I was a pretty good player in my day, but I'm nothing compared to you Strassy - just ask Topps."

#5:
2011 Topps Allen & Ginter:
Relics:
AGR-BB.  Brett Butler

I already had this card but decided to trade for it anyhow since I figured I might be able to use it to acquire some relics that I do need.  If anyone would like it, shoot me an email (you can find my email in my profile).

#4:
2011 Topps Allen & Ginter:
Relics:
AGR-DL.  Derek Lee

The Lee relic earns a higher slot than the Butler relic only because I imagine I'll have better luck trading away an Orioles than I will a Royal.  Of course, I could be completely wrong - maybe I have some sort of huge (yet silent) Royal readership out there.

#3:
2011 Topps Allen & Ginter:
Relics:
AGR-RD.  Ryan Dempster

The Dempster card is the third (and final) relic from Samuel.  And, like the other two, I already had the Dempster.  However - take a look at the Dempster relic that I already have (see below).  Notice any differences?

Yeah, not only did Topps do different relic types (jerseys/bats) for players with the same card number, they also did completely different jerseys types for the same players!  As a set completionist, that bugs me.  However, I think if I decide to go for the relic set that I'll simply try to acquire one of each card number.  There's no way I can acquire one of each relic type - plus no official list exists for me to even know how many variations of each relic there are!

#2:
2011 Topps Allen & Ginter:
Floating Fortresses:
FF11.  Lave

The Lave was one of the first ironclad floating batteries (and, as the name suggests, very much French).  The photo looks more like something that would be purported to prove the existence of the Loch Ness Monster or something.  Even so, this is an awesome card (and an awesome set).  As soon as I saw that Topps had a set about boats I was hooked!

#1:
2011 Topps Allen & Ginter:
Flora of the World:
FOW-4.  Mexican Hat

I know many of you hate these cards.  Who the heck wants flowers in their baseball cards?  Well, I think they are off-beat and spectacular - so if you have any, I'd gladly trade for them (even if they aren't ones still on my want list).  I'll planting the extras next spring and everyone will be able to see the results of the Ginter garden should it work!

Thanks for the trade Sam!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments