Featured Post

Review Week: 2011 Topps Lineage Case Review: Box #8

Welcome to another Review Week post.  Today, I am going to take a look at the 8th box of Topps Lineage from my case.  However, since I've already reviewed the other boxes (in various ways), I need a new way to review this particular box.  Instead of reviewing the cards themselves, I'm going to simply review each of the inserts (since Lineage is mostly about the inserts anyhow)!

Here we go:

Box topper - 7/10

I like when box toppers are something a bit different and yet still go with the theme of the set.  I think the Topps Giant cards fit the Lineage line fine (especially since they are based on an old Topps set).  In order to score high in this category though, Topps would have had to do something like the felt team logos from the 2007 Topps Heritage set.  Unfortunately for me, my box topper was a bit dinged up at the bottom...(some might say it is more than a bit dinged up actually).  Boo.

Topps Venezuela - 1/10
Someone might like these but I don't.  They are boring rehashes of the base set with backs in Spanish.  Leave the Spanish to Pacific - at least that company made interesting base cards (and wacky inserts)!

Topps Stand-Ups - 8/10
I like these quite a bit.  They aren't exactly as cool as the "bobbin' heads" from Upper Deck's Collector's Choice set but they are close.  Kudos.

Topps Stickers - 6/10

I liked these at first, but the more I saw of them, the more I decided they were a faded base card.  I think it would have been cool if the entire set was printed on card stock with the sticker "feel" (ala Masterpieces sort of) but alas, that wasn't too be.

Platinum parallels - 5/10

I would love to dock more points off of these, but I'm going to be trying to collect all the Reds from the set so who am I to be judging too harshly?

Diamond parallels - 5/10
See the above description for the Platinum parallels.

2011 Rookies - 8/10

Since I was born in the early 80s, the 2011 Rookies set is the only set that actually strikes some sort of nostalgia nerve with me.  Oh yes, the late 80s junk wax is now nostalgic...

Topps 3D - 9/10

Ok, these are kind of cool - certainly better than SportFlics.  I actually like them a lot better than the Topps 2020 insert set from last year (if I recall correctly)...this is a set that I think I'll try to complete.

1975 Minis - 8/10

It seems like everyone and their brother is trying to collect this set, and I can see why.  The psychedelic colors (coupled with the rather easy acquisition of cards) makes this a popular little set (pun intended).  Normally, I'd chase the full set too - but I think I'll be using my '75 Minis as trade bait in order to secure the Reds from the mini set (plus other stuff off my want list).

Sticker Autograph - 3/10

A rehashed design (I know that's the point) plus a sticker autograph smacks of laziness to me.  There are way too many guys like League on the checklist that I have no desire for too, that doesn't help the set any.

On card Autograph - 10/10

First, credit Topps for a 50% on-card auto rate...in a low-end product no less.  Even better, many of the on card autos are of retired players - I love that!  I especially like the Joe Presko that I pulled, even if it is a Cardinal!

1975 Minis - 10/10

Take the most popular parallel version and turn it into a super parallel set with relic pieces - yes please!  If I had money (which I don't), I'd go for the full set.  Since I'm a poor college student once again, I'll just be begging for any of the Reds relics...

Comments

  1. solid review. I agree about all the subsets that rehash the already dull base design - it just drags down the whole set. how bout having 1 or 2 less parallel sets and actually have different designs. and a question to the Giant Box Toppers have the newsprint style stories on the back like they did in 64? or do they rehash the backs of the base cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, I'm the only one who cares, but Topps didn't use yellow team names with the green-yellow bordered cards in '75. They were red.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment