Featured Post

The Birthday Question (plus Group Break loot)

My birthday is a little over a month away, and as such, my wife asked me last week what I wanted for the "big day."  At my age, birthdays really aren't so special anymore...other than the fact that I successfully made it around the sun one more time of course.

So, rather nonchalantly, I said: "I don't need anything, but you can't go wrong with baseball cards."  She then informed me that she had no idea what cards would be a good choice (though she did know that I loved Allen & Ginter - that made me proud)!  I told her I could make a list of boxes that I'd like to open - I figure I'll peruse the Baseball Card Exchange website and pick out a few boxes that would be a lot of fun to open.

However, that's where you come in:
See, there are a ton of mid-90s and 2000s sets that I've never opened up a single pack of, so I'm asking my loyal (and not-so-loyal) readers to help me out.  Do you have any suggestions or recommendations in terms of boxes?

I plan to spend a bit of time later this week to compile my list, but any suggestions are appreciated.

That said, here's two sets that I don't want on the list:  1996 and 1997 Fleer.

You see, way back when (early September) I was in a group break held by Colbey over at Cardboard Connections.  Honestly, I don't remember why I participated in the break, though my hunch is that the price was right (i.e. cheap).  I think I might have done it with the idea that I'd get some cards in the mail while I was at class.  Unfortunately, too much time has passed for me to recall all the details of what was in the break.  Based on my pile of cards, it was only 1996 and 1997 Fleer 'cuz that's all I got.

That said, I did get some nice cards, including a couple of new Larkins (which means the break was a success for me)!

First, a quick comparison between the two years.

Both sets are printed on a nonglossy card stock that is amazingly thin (and thus cheap feeling).  The backs are also similar, though the 1997 back is much easier to read (and thus preferred by me).

As I mentioned above, I ended up with three Larkins - two base card Larkins plus a glossy Larkin.

 I don't know what the name of the glossy insert set is the 1996 Fleer, does anyone out there know?

All told, I was happy with the loot - and I don't need to bother with either Fleer set since I'm fairly certain I have all the Reds from both sets!  

Comments

  1. The glossy set was called "Fleer Tiffany". It was a one per pack parallel in 1996. I collected this entire set back in '96....I was on a Fleer kick back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1999 Topps Gold Label would give you some shiny cards while 1999 Skybox Thunder would yield some gaudy cards. BBCExchange has some great product in stock right now so you really can't go wrong.

    Dan is right. Tiffany parallels were 1:1 in 1996 and then 1:20 for 1997. I had an itch to open those matte cards so that's why there was only 2 boxes...and you're right about the price - it was cheap. As always thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never ripped a lot of it, but for me SP Authentic sets were a decent rip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked Pacific for the inserts.Some of them were amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment