Featured Post

Delivery Time! Night Owl Sends 1.5" Worth of Cards

What's a few 1975 mini cards worth?



In a trade with Night Owl, the current rate has been set at about 1.5" worth of cards (stacked up measuring from the table to the top of the stack).  Greg is trying to complete the mini set from 2011 Lineage - so I was able to help him out a bit since I opened way more of the set than any normal should have...  In return, Greg sent me a few cards from my own want list - plus some assorted Reds.

 Greg happens to be one of my favorite baseball card bloggers out there - he's constantly writing funny or thoughtful posts that happen to tie in baseball cards.  As such, anytime I sit down to write a trade post that involves cards from him I feel particularly inadequate when it comes to evaluating my own prose.  Of course, I almost always think my writing is nothing more drivel...and it's even less comforting knowing that given enough monkeys, enough typewriters, and enough time, at least one monkey would type a post exactly like I do.

 Though I don't expect my writing to flow as nicely as Night Owl's, be as witty as Dayf's, or be as engaging as at least half of the bloggers on my blog roll, I do aim to be a better blogger than an arbitrary monkey.  And so, since I don't have unlimited time (nor a typewriter), I better get crackin'.

Here are two of the (many) highlights from the trade.

Black-Eyed Susan.

I used Google images to find the monkey at the typewriter - but if you use Google images to find pictures of Black-Eyed Susans, you'll end up with one of the most boring collections of photos ever.  The flowers are boring things, only popular because they grow in huge masses with little to no care.  According to the back of the card, the roots of the flower have been used by some cultures to treat worms in children (amongst other uses).  Number one, how does a child get worms?  Number two, who thought, hmmm, I bet something growing in the dirt with the worms would be a perfect way to get rid of other types of worms.  People are weird.


 Captain Kidd's Treasure:

This time, my google image search was much more productive.  In fact, I found the exact picture that Topps used (website here).  This card is from the Fortune's For the Taking subset in the 2011 Allen & Ginter set.  Unfortunately, this was really the only "cool" insert set in this year's edition of Ginter.  It pains me to say that, especially since I love Ginter more than just about any blogger that I know, but it's true.  Topps needs to go back to what made Ginter great (unexpected, cool cards) and get away from being totally predictable.  Of course, Topps makes their living being predictable, so I doubt my vision will ever be fulfilled.  As for the card, I love it.  It fits in nicely with my other two cards from the set (meaning I am missing only seven of the ten)...ouch!

Greg also sent me some Gypsy Queen base cards, a few Topps Attax cards, and a plethora of Reds from various sets, all of which were appreciated!  Thanks for the trade Greg, and, as always, if anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. You're welcome!

    I agree -- the mini sets in A&G were pretty dull this time around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment