Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Autograph Week: The Conclusion (and my Answers to the Questionnaire)

At the beginning of the week, I asked for a little audience participation in filling out a short questionnaire.  Before you read my answers, I highly suggest you go back to the original post and check out the comments - lots of good stuff there, plus plenty of people took the time to turn my questions into a full blog post on their own blogs (which are mostly linked to in the comments).  And with that, here are my answers to my own questions:

1. What is the best autograph you own?



I don't actually own any "great" autographs.  My best autographs in terms of the ones that I like the most are a tie between all of my Allen & Ginter autos and the 2008 Topps Stadium Club Beam Team autos.

2. What is the best autograph that you've ever pulled from a pack of cards?
I pulled a Hank Aaron on card autograph when I was on vacation in Florida a number of years ago.  Unfortunately, the money was more important than the auto so I ended up selling it on eBay for about $250.

3. What is the worst autograph you've ever pulled from a pack of cards?

Almost every auto I pull from a pack seems to be crap.  I think the David DeJesus auto from this year's Gypsy Queen (even though it is on card) is the worst simply because it seems to be more common than some of the base short prints (which I still need).

4. Do you try to get autographs through the mail? If so, what sort of success (or failure) stories do you have?
I have never tried to do the through the mail auto thing, nor do I plan on starting anytime soon.  I send enough mail out in terms of trade packages...
5. Who was the subject of your first ever autograph?
John Kruk at a local card show.  He signed a 1990 Fleer card for me.  My mom has the signed card in a photo album back home...probably not the ideal way to store a baseball card, but on the other hand, it might be the only 1990 Fleer card in a photo album on the planet!
6. Do you actively collect any autographs (certain players, teams, brands, etc)?
I am a set collector first, though I have shown off a few of my random Reds autographs over the course of this week.  My largest autograph collections are definitely the Allen & Ginter autos from both 2010 and 2011.
7. Which is better: Autographs or Relics?
I think autographs are better for good players but I think relic cards are generally more interesting (especially Ginter relics)!  I think I'd rather have a David DeJesus relic than a DeJesus autograph for instance...but in reality it's more about the design than anything else for me.
8. What do you think of cut autos?
I have no use for them...other than if I were to ever pull one from a pack it'd help me recoup some of the money I've spent on cards over the years.
9. What is your favorite autograph design (say in the last 5 years)?
I love the Allen & Ginter design but I think the 2008 Stadium Club Beam Team autos even more (if only they were on card and not stickers).
10. If you could get the autograph of any five people (dead or alive) who would you want a signature from (and why)? 
1.  Barry Larkin:  He's the only player I actively and purposely collect.
2.  Tom Seaver:  It'd be a gift for my dad.
3.  Johnny Bench:  Again, though I'd love to keep it, it'd be a gift for my dad.
4.  Pythagoras:  I'm a mathematician, so it'd be pretty cool to have an ancient Greek mathematician's signature...even if it in Greek!
5.  George Washington:  I was a big fan of the Topps American History sets and I've always had a bit of a thing for history, so owning one of the original "Americans" signatures would be quite cool.
 

Comments