Featured Post

2012 Resolutions - And a Look Back at 2011

Everyone else has been posting their 2012 resolutions - and I said that I'd post mine (as well as soon as I thought of some).  Before I get to 2012 though, we ought to take a look back and see how I did in 2011.  Here's the link to my 2011 New Year Resolutions - and here's how I did.

1.  Get into a graduate program.
Check!  I was accepted (and attended) Binghamton University last fall and began working on my Ph.D. in mathematics.  Unfortunately, as I alluded to in a previous post, I've decided not to go back for the spring semester.  My decision was based on a few things, mostly the (almost) 13,000 miles that I drove last semester alone between school, work, and home.  Second, I didn't have the proper time to devote to my studies (or to my teaching)...thanks mostly to the aforementioned 13,000 miles that I spent in the car.  Third, there was a particular professor at Binghamton who seemed to have it out for me.  I'm not particularly adept at playing the political game (what can I say, I'm a math guy where things are either black or white, right or wrong).  I was about to kneel and worship the guys shoes, nor was I going to roll over and play dead when I was sure I was correct...but I guess trying to (respectfully) argue my point and/or seeking clarification was a mistake.  To sum the guy up though (and why I feel the way I do), here's a verbatim quote from an email he sent me after the semester was over " positive performance (on the final) wasn't going to greatly improve anyone's grade, though negative performance on such a low-level test would look bad in a graduate course of this kind".  Sure, it's disappointing to basically have to give up teaching at a four-year institution after this year is up (unless some sort of miraculous deal can be struck) but it wasn't worth the headache, misery, or miles trying to put up with people (and issues) like that...

2.   Finish at least three sets on my want list.
Check.  I finished quite a few sets this year - some that had been on my want list for awhile and a bunch from 2011 that weren't even in existence when I originally wrote my 2011 resolutions.

3.  Organize all my "extra" cards.
Fail.  Not only did I not organize my extras...but the stacks have grown even larger (and more precarious).  This is something that I need at least a dedicated week to do correctly - and a lot of space to spread out my cards.  Hopefully it is something that I can complete this summer (and, as such, is a goal that you'll see repeated this year)!

4.  Continue blog trading, try to top 2010's total.
Check.  In 2010, I sent out 122 trade packages - in 2011, I mailed out 166 trade packages.  None of those totals include any of the many, many group break packages (unless a separate trade was also worked out simultaneously).   I had absolutely no expectations that I'd top 150 different trades in a year, but hey, at least I'm doing my part to keep the Post Office alive!

5.  Grow my Barry Larkin Collection to 200 cards.
Fail.  At the end of 2010, I had written 78 different Barry Larkin Collection posts.  Despite all my blogging over the past year, I've only managed to catalog 113 different Larkin cards from my collection.  With a net gain of only 35 Larkin posts, I did a poor job with this particular goal.

6.  Attend at least 1 MLB game.
Check.  I managed to make it to a couple of MLB games this year - one in Milwaukee and one in Chicago (White Sox) both on the same trip.  Someday, I'd love to get back to a second game in Milwaukee (and one at the other Chicago stadium too while I'm at it)!

7.  Be a more visible blog presence.
Check.  Between the constant posts (I believe I had at least one post every day) and various comments, I maintained a relationship with many bloggers.  On my own blog, I posted 974 different blog entries (up from 767 in 2010).  I don't expect to top 974 posts this year - but I do hope to maintain my presence in other ways (especially by commenting on all of your fine blogs - blogs that I read daily but only seldom comment on).

8.  Expand the scope of my blog.
Check.  I had posts about cooking, origami, teaching, school, and politics mixed in with lots (and lots) of baseball card posts.  I also instituted the "Theme Week" idea last year that allowed me to branch out even further without ever fully abandoning the reasons why you all visit my blog in the first place.

9.  Review things.
Check.  Last year, I had a fair number of blog sponsors and review opportunities pop up - most of which I took advantage of.  I don't know whether the same sort of sponsorship opportunities will arise this year or not so it's good that this was a 2011 resolution!

10.  Surprise people.
Meh.  This isn't a total fail because I did mail off a fair number of surprise packages.  However, I don't think I did enough of the goodwill gestures to confidently check this goal off.

Those were my 2011 goals - and with 7 checks, 2 fails, and 1 "meh", I'd say I did quite well.  75% of all my resolutions (and they weren't all easy) is impressive for me!

On the heels of my 2011 success, I'm hesitant to do any Resolutions for 2012 but hey, I've promised to do this twice now so here goes:

2012 Nachos Grande Resolutions:

1.   Get a real job and/or go back to school for something that I can get a real job in.
As it stands right now, I know that I will be teaching at the same college where I've been employed for the past four years.  However, without the Ph.D. I can't get tenure there - and without tenure I believe I can only work there full-time for one more year at most.  Unless something can be worked out there, I'll have to either find a new place to work or go back to school and perhaps earn my secondary certification (and then find a new place to work).  I am hopeful that by the end of 2012 this is the one goal that I can mark off with authority.

2.  Finish at least three of the following sets:

  • 2008 UD Spectrum (I need 1 card)
  • 2008 Topps Heritage Base (I need 7 cards)
  • 2008 UD Masterpieces (I need 8 cards)
  • 2009 Upper Deck Spectrum (I need 2 cards)
  • 2009 Allen & Ginter Inventions of the Future (I need 1 card)
  • 2009 Allen & Ginter Extinct Creatures (I need 1 card)
  • 2009 Allen & Ginter National Heroes (I need 1 card)
  • 2009 Allen & Ginter Creatures of Legend, Myth, and Terror (I need 4 cards)
  • 2009 Allen & Ginter Cabinet cards (I need 3 cards)
  • 2009 Allen & Ginter regular back minis (I need 15 cards) 

 There are ten different sets in the above list - 30% might not seem like an impressive goal but since each set is at least three years old as of 2012 I don't think it'll be easy.  

3.   Organize all of my extra cards
Here's what I wrote last year for this goal (that I failed):
 I have two shirt boxes full of baseball cards that need to be organized, plus a couple of towers of cards that are one strong breeze from falling over and making a huge mess. I keep all my cards in binders, so organizing is a feat in terms of both time and money (for binders and pages). I also need to seriously evaluate what I want to collect, right now I've basically been collecting everything...but I'm quickly running out of room on my shelves!
Those stacks are only more likely to tip over this year...

4.  Complete at least 150 trades with fellow bloggers (and blog readers)
Sure, the number I chose is slightly less than 2011 trade total but 150 is a nice round number.  Also, if I manage to complete goal #1, 150 trades will probably be challenging enough.
 
5.  Grow my Barry Larkin Collection to at least 200 different posts
This should be the easiest of all the goals - but it does take awhile to scan both the front and back of each card - especially when I don't think that there are nearly enough people interested in my Larkin Collection...even if I do want a place to have every card at my fingertips!
 
6.  Host at least 8 different group breaks
I ordered a bunch of boxes for the first of my group breaks this year today in fact.  Once they arrive, I'll post the information (and sign-ups) - so I know I'll have 1 Group break for sure in 2012...seven more and I can check this goal off!

7.  Expand the scope of my blog
As much as I love baseball cards (and as much you guys/gals love to read about them) sometimes a little variety is a good thing.  Furthermore, I've already learned that when I post about other interests of mine I occasionally draw in new trade partners who arrive at my blog without planning on reading about baseball cards at all!   I expect to show off a bit more of my origami this year, along with some of my woodworking stuff assuming I can find the time to devote to each of those hobbies!

8.  Get a sponsorship from one of the sport card manufacturers
Sometimes you have to have a goal that seems impossible.  My blog certainly isn't the best - in fact, I doubt anyone would say it is even in the top 30 of any list of baseball card blogs...but even so I'd like to try.  I enjoy reviewing things - and with my (most likely) severely limited budget due to my job situation, this may be the only way I'll be able to open up new product, especially towards the latter half of the year.  Topps - are you listening?

9.  Organize my sets (and put them all in binders)
This goes hand-in-hand with goal number three in that it will require quite a bit of organization.  It might also require me to reevaluate which sets I do, and do not, want to chase.  I also have a bunch of completed sets that are sitting around waiting to be put in 9-pocket pages...something that I always put off but really ought to do!
 
10.  Have fun and avoid burnout
I don't think my version of fun (and avoiding burnout) will be drawing ponies but I do think it is important to remember that baseball cards and blogging should always be about fun.  The minute it ceases to be amusing to me is the moment that I should hang up my proverbial spikes.  I'm hopeful that doesn't happen in 2012!

There are my 2012 goals - if I can manage another year with  75% completion I'll have had a good 2012...  Have a great new year everyone - I know I'm looking forward to another fun year of blogging and trading (and reading all your fine blogs).  Did I miss any goals that I ought to add to the list?   Did you have any resolutions to help fellow bloggers out with their various 2009 Allen & Ginter sets?  Let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. Precarious stacks of leaning cards... funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard it said that academic politics are so vicious because the stakes are so small. When I read your post, I couldn't help but think of my brother-in-law who was a brilliant microbiologist. His seminal paper was published in 1991 and continues to be cited 20 years later (476 cites according to Google Scholar). Yet he couldn't get tenure due to purely political reasons.

    Hang in there and don't let the bastards define who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:28 PM

    I like the Barry Larkin posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! And yeah, there are jerks in all walks of life - it just sucks when your job is "professor" and you refuse to teach... It's even worse because I was a professor at one school and a student at another...both sides of the desk so to speak and I know I would have been fired quicker than quick if I had been half the a** to my students as that guy was to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the review of 2011 and goals set out for 2012!

    As a teacher(well, substitute due to the last of teaching jobs around here) and son of a teacher, I know the extreme politics that are in academics! It is pathetic because the most important thing is to educate future generations of America! Keep pursuing your doctorate and keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the goals and want to help you out. I can get two of your 3 sets complete. I have these cards:

    Upper Deck Spectrum:
    Base: 47, 63

    Topps Allen & Ginter
    National Heroes:  NH4

    Shoot me your address and they are on the way.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment