Featured Post

Group Break: 2000 Fleer Tradition (3 More Packs) with a Hit!

Let's crack open another trio of packs.

Editor's note:  We found a hit in one of the three packs - and to make it even better, it was from one of the claimed teams (rather than one of the randomized teams).

Pack 21:
Astros Team - Astros
Angels Team - Angels
Travis Fryman - Indians
Aarond Myette / Josh Paul - White Sox
10 of 15 GK.  Grasskickers:  Ken Griffey Jr.

Robinson Cancel / Kevin Barker - Brewers
Barry Bonds - Giants
Alex Gonzalez - Marlins
Blue Jays Team - Blue Jays
Gary DiSarcina - Angels

The Grasskicker insert cards are seeded 1:30 packs so they are basically a box hit.  I can't decide for sure how I feel about the card - on the one hand, it's nice and thematic...it just seems like they could have used a better photo of Griffey.  Even so, it's an easy choice to award this pack to the Mariners.

Pack 22:
Brad Ausmus - Tigers
Matt Anderson - Tigers
Jose Canseco - Rays
Mark Quinn / Dermal Brown - Royals
Aaron Boone - Reds
Terry Adams  - Dodgers
Chad Herville / Luis Vizaino - Athletics
Edgardo Alfonzo - Mets
Rickey Henderson - Mets

Bruce Aven - Pirates

Uhm.  I have nothing to say about this pack.  No inserts, nothing great (except an old looking Rickey Henderson card).  I guess the Mets get the win though it's a hollow victory to be sure.

Pack 23:
Kent Bottenfield - Cardinals
Eric Karros - Dodgers
Delino DeShields - Orioles
David Nilsson - Brewers
Bernie Williams - Yankees
Rafael Palmeiro - Rangers
Kerry Wood - Cubs
Rays Team - Rays
Kevin Appier - Athletics
Fresh Ink Autograph:  Freddy Garcia - Mariners

How about that?!  An autograph from a box where the chances of an auto were 1:144 packs!   Even better, the auto is on card - and Garcia included his number...  Of course, by looking at his signature I have no idea that it says "Freddy Garcia" anywhere...but still, congrats to the Mariners for the second pack win of the post - and for the first hit of the break!

I suppose, given that we just pulled a hit, it's an appropriate time to ask:  How important are possible hits in making your decision to join a group break?  The reason I ask is that I tried something a little different this time - lots of boxes of some nice products but not a lot of promised hits and had pretty good luck filling the break.  I've also had good luck filling breaks that promise lots of hits (but not nearly so many base cards and inserts).  I'm just curious as I'm already thinking about what I might want to do for my next group break!

Comments

  1. Hits don't always influence my decision on whether to sign up and I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way.

    I want the best bang for my buck. Sometimes that equates into a chance for a hit, but most of the time it means having fun, getting a nice amount of base cards and the chance at some inserts and parallels.

    I try to mix up the boxes I offer in my breaks as well. I know the chances of hits or the guaranteed hits help sell the break, but sometimes the likelihood of a lot of cards period also is what helps sell it.

    By the way, keep up the good work - I always enjoy your breaks...and I'm not just saying that b/c you just pulled a Griffey and a Mariners auto either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! I think I've enjoyed this break about as much as any break I've held thus far, the products are all different enough that it keeps it interesting (at least for me)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment