Featured Post

Group Break: Upper Deck Decades '70s: Packs 11, 12, 13, and 14

I'm a huge fan of the Upper Deck Decades set.  In fact, I'd love to pick up a box (or two) of this set for myself sometime in the future.  It reminds me a bit of the Upper Deck Retro box that I opened for Christmas - just a bit more gloss and little bit more possible excitement in terms of inserts and hits.

Pack 11:
10.  John Mayberry - Blue Jays
36.  Wilbur Wood - White Sox

62.  Bill Russell - Dodgers
128.  Carlton Fisk - Red Sox
154.  Catfish Hunter - Athletics

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about baseball...but since I wasn't alive in the 70s, there are a few players in the set that I don't know anything about.  WIlbur Wood is one such player.  According to his card back, he had a 164-156 pitching record (with 57 saves) to along with a career 3.24 ERA.  I guess that's not bad, but it's also not superstar worthy.  It is, however, enough to give the pack win to the White Sox because I got learn something new today!

Pack 12:
14.  Buddy Bell - Indians
40.  Graig Nettles - Yankees
107.  Dave Parker - Pirates
176.  Carlton Fisk - Red Sox
BB1.  Bellbottomed Bashers:  Reggie Jackson - Athletics

OK, as a Reds fan I am sick of seeing/reading stuff about Fisk's home run.  The Red Sox ended up losing that World Series anyhow, albeit one game later.  As for the pack winner, it's an easy choice when you pull a 1:14 insert card of a great slugger in Reggie Jackson!

Pack 13:
18.  Tommy Davis - Orioles
44.  J.R. Richard - Astros
99.  Mike Schmidt - Phillies
125.  Brooks Robinson - Orioles
151.  Tom Seaver - Mets

I'm at a bit of a loss as to who to award this pack to.  On the one hand, J.R. Richards is rockin' the sweet old Astros uniform which makes for a fun baseball card.  On the other hand, Schmidt was a pretty dominant guy who is worthy of a pack win on his own.  However, I'm going with the (third?) hand - Tom Seaver carries this pack victory for the Mets...and now the Mets have 4 pack wins which happens to be exactly half of what the Yankees have in the break.

Pack 14:
17.  Brooks Robinson - Orioles
86.  Roberto Clemente - Pirates

115.  Willie Stargell - Pirates
142.  Boog Powell - Orioles
168.  Don Baylor - Angels

 Not a lot of variety in teams with both the Pirates and Orioles having a pair of cards.  However good Brooks Robinson and Boog Powell may have been, they are simply no match for the pair of Clemente and Stargell - congrats Pittsburgh on your fourth pack win!

Comments

  1. Man this is one ugly set.

    moe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, unfortunately Brooks and Boog didn't prevail over the Pirates in the 71 series either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugly set? That thing is freakin' beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment