Featured Post

Group Break: Half of the Last Mini Box of Fleer Genuine (With a Really Cool Hit!)

First, a word from our sponsor:

The Fleer Genuine box has been pretty good to us so far - we've already found four hits and we haven't even opened up the final mini box yet.  According to the pack wrapper, the odds of finding a hit are 1:4.5 packs...which means we ought to find one more relic for sure - and if we get slightly lucky, two relics yet.  Let's see what the first half of the mini box brings us:

Pack 1:
21.  Shawn Green - Dodgers
27.  Joe Mays - Twins
47.  Jimmy Rollins - Phillies
63.  Greg Maddux - Braves
BI 3 of 25:  Bat's Incredible:  Luis Gonzalez - Diamondbacks

Are there any Diamondback collectors out there?  In all of my group breaks, the D-backs are one of the few teams that have never been claimed as a primary team.  The insert card gives Arizona their 4th pack win of the break...and now the D-backs have 2 parallels, 1 insert, 1 serially-numbered card, and 1 relic to go along with their 23 base cards.  A really nice haul for a "leftover team!"

Pack 2:
15.  Raul Mondesi - Blue Jays
38.  Jeromy Burnitz - Mets
55.  Josh Beckett - Marlins
93.  Nomar Garciaparra - Red Sox
TC 14 of 25:  Tip of the Cap:  Shawn Green - Dodgers

Although a little odd, I kind of dig the Tip of the Cap insert cards.  Luckily (for me), we already pulled a Griffey Jr. Tip of the Cap card (when he was a Red) so I get one for my collection.  This particular insert gives the Dodgers their seventh pack win of the break - all of the sudden the Dodgers are making a claim for "best team in the break."  I don't know if they can catch the Yankees, but even so LA is clearly in the top 5 for the break.

Pack 3: 
50.  Freddy Garcia - Mariners
64.  Kerry Wood - Cubs
66.  Barry Bonds - Giants
Touch 'em All:  Relic:  Ichiro - Mariners  (#331/350)

In one of the group breaks last year, I pulled a piece of a shoe that I thought was kind of cool.  Now, I've pulled a piece of a game-used base which is even cooler.  According to the back of the card, the base was used in an actual MLB game in the 2001 season and it happens to be serially numbered as well:  #331/350!  That makes two relics for the Mariners - but I think this is my favorite relic of the entire break!

Pack 4:
3.  Jim Thome - Indians
24.  Curt Schilling - Diamondbacks
48.  Chipper Jones - Braves
54.  Troy Glaus - Angels
103.  Rene Reyes - Rockies #0052/2002

Another nice score for the Rockies, the serially numbered Reyes card will go nicely with their insert, relic, and second serially numbered card.  For a team that often doesn't get anything "cool," the Rockies have been quite impressive this time around!

Comments

  1. I have no complaints about my teams in this break. Both have done very well. I was hoping for a Helton or Walker Bat's Incredible out of this box, but a serial numbered Reyes is a decent prize nonetheless. Reyes is arguably the most disappointing prospect in Rockies history, but he still has a spot in my collection.

    BTW, that Ichiro base is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, like, did Ichiro step on the base or sit on the base or lick the base or anything?

    I don't understand the tie-in. Maybe there's something on the back? Or is it just another excuse to get another Ichiro card in the set and make the card more "valuable" then if say, they put out a Quilvio Veras base relic?

    Gee whiz, am I being cynical again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i remember ichiro looking at that base...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at that game. I clearly remember Ichiro farting on the base as he slid across it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment