Featured Post

Delivery Time! Cards from Blog Reader David

Do you ever have a bad week that seems to keep getting worse?  I'm sure we've all had those...but how about the opposite, how often do you have a good week that keeps getting better?!

For me, I'm enjoying the latter streak - one that actually has extended for a couple of weeks now (minus one MAJOR issue that I'll probably blog about in the near future - still waiting to hear back from a few of the involved parties on that one and I don't want to say anything that I might regret quite yet).

You see, other than the issue that I cryptically referred to above, my last week and a half have been great.  It started off great simply because last week was spring break.  That meant (theoretically anyhow), that I'd have time to catch up on grading, devise lesson plans for the rest of the semester, and maybe even get a bit of my own reading done.  Of course, most of that didn't happen but that's ok.  Then, as spring break rolled along, the weather kept getting nicer and nicer.  I'm someone who needs the sun - and as anyone who as ever lived in north central PA can probably attest to, having sunny days is a luxury that should not be ignored.  We've managed to have at least half a day's worth of beautiful sunny weather for the last week (and even more in the forecast).

With warm weather comes sports, and I've been able to play a little softball, soccer, and ultimate frisbee.  If only there were a tennis court nearby, it'd be perfect!

All that said, my week was also made better by a package that arrived in the mail from blog reader David.  David contacted me saying he pulled a Joey Votto relic from Lineage (that was one I had on my want list) and that he'd like to send it to me for free.

Color me impressed!

A few days later and not only am I now the proud owner of the Votto relic - but David also through in a nice stack of assorted Reds cards.

David sent me 9 different Fleer E-XL cards...all of which are framed with some sort of emotion (?) running down the side of the card.  Some of them make sense:

Jeff Brantley = Force, Hal Morris = Consistent, and Barry Larkin = Craftsman...

Others are a bit weird, but I suppose I could say they make sense:

John Smiley = Torque (ok, pitcher, sure), Mark Portugal - Hurling (as opposed to pitching I guess, not really a compliment), and Steve Gibralter = Impending (rookie guy - even though he never amounted to anything for the Reds).  I get those words...but the last group...

Oye, Bret Boone = Rampage?  Maybe Fleer was referring to 'roid rage?
Pete Schourek = Whipping?  Sounds way more like a torture chamber term rather than a word used to describe a guy who was 41-33 in his MLB career at that point with a 4.14 ERA.
Finally, Reggie Sanders = Reaching?  I think Fleer was reaching when they used the word...I guess because Sanders is shown reaching for a pitch in the picture (sort of)?

Although the Fleer E-XL cards took up the majority of the Reds pile, there were a few other gems in there thanks to David!

Vote for Pedro!

If you build it, they will come!

Clay's pissed he's on a card with a Yankee.

Yummy snacks = yummy cards.

Crooked photo = emo photo?

I have no idea what set this is from.

The top 10 National League RBI leaders all had more RBIs than everyone in the American League except for the top 3 guys.  Bench was the best of everyone, of course.

Last, but not least, a card from a set that I'm collecting for some reason - and yet, no one sends me any of the cards that I need.

Thanks for all the great cards David - I enjoyed them all - and they made my week that much better!  If anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments