Featured Post

Delivery Time! Cards from Thorzul (Back in December 2011)!

Back in December of last year, Thorzul hosted one of his "big box of random cards" breaks where he acquires a giant box of cards and mails out teams to everyone who buys in.  It was a long time ago, but I think the gist of this break was buy one team, get one free (randomized).  It must have been because I somehow ended up with the Reds (obviously) and the Twins.  Anyhow, I ended up with a nice sized box of goodies - way too many to show off in a single post but I thought it'd be fun to take a look at the top 9 cards that I ended up with!

#9:
2001 Upper Deck - Steve Kelly (TTM Auto):

I certainly didn't expect to land any autographs in the break - so even though this is a through the mail (TTM) auto (or so it appears), it was still a fun surprise!  I'm not sure if I were Steve that I'd want to sign this goofy photo though...

#8:
1970 Topps - Tony Perez

Oh sure, the card is in terrible condition, but that's ok - I still love it!  Anytime you can nab vintage cards of great players, well, you can't complain much about condition!

#7:
2002 Upper Deck - World Series Heroes:  Jose Rijo

Ok, this card is butt ugly - but it celebrates the Reds' last World Series win so I love it anyhow.  Rijo was a beast in the 1990 World Series - he went 2-0 with a 0.59 ERA pitching 15.1 innings in the Reds four game sweep of the heavily favored Athletics.

#6:
2009 Topps 206:  Piedmont mini:  Joe Mauer

As I mentioned, I ended up with both the Reds and Twins in the break...luckily for me, the Reds pile was about four times the size of the Twins (not a lot of Twins in the box I guess) but that's ok as I don't have much use for random Twin cards!  There were a few Minnesotian gems though, this mini Mauer being one of them.

#5:
1971 Topps - Frank Duffy & Milt Wilcox

There's not a lot special about this card (though Wilcox's hat looks all sorts of wrong).  It is, however, a 1971 Topps card that I didn't own before now so I'm happy!

#4 (tie):
1991 Post & 1991 Pepsi:  Chris Sabo

I couldn't decide which one of these two oddball cards I liked better, so combined they take slot #4 in my Top 9 countdown.  Once again, the cards are from a prime year for Reds fans (one year removed from the World Series) so that makes 'em a bit more special.  Throw in the fact that Chris Sabo was one of my favorite Reds of the era and you have a pair of sure winners!

#3:
1993 Upper Deck SP - Bip Roberts

Bip has earned quite the reputation amongst bloggers, but he also should have a reputation for some of the strangest (and sometimes coolest) photos in various baseball card sets.  This particular card is a perfect example - here's Bip in a jacket that's 4 sizes too large for him...standing in front of a lake.  I dare you to try and find other baseball cards that feature the main player standing in front of a lake!

#2:
2007 Topps - Josh Hamilton

A Hamilton rookie card is a good find - and despite the black border, it's still in pretty good shape.  I think I already had one of these in my collection but I'm not positive.  Regardless, a second Hamilton rookie isn't anything to complain about!

And the #1 card in the break?  A surprise - it's not even a Red!

#1:
1971 Topps - Bert Blyleven

It might be a bit rough around the edges and a bit (ok, a lot) off centered, but it's still a great card!  Of all the cards, this one was probably the most exciting to me - and it's certainly worthy of the number spot!

In case you were wondering, there were two different Barry Larkin cards - but since I already had both of them, they didn't crack the Top 9 for the break!  Thanks for hosting the group break Thorzul - even if it did take me about 5 months to get the cards posted!

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:22 PM

    Glad you liked them. Weird that you're posting this today, since I just opened the first El Cheapo break since then.

    http://thorzul.blogspot.com/2012/04/spring-el-cheapo-group-break-is-open.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike? To be fair, I had this post written a few days ago but it's turn up in the queue didn't happen until today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment