Featured Post

Delivery Time! More from Cardboard Junkie

This whole "blog not updating on other people's blogrolls" is really taking its toll on my motivation to blog.  Right now, I'm only getting visitors from Google plus the select few blogs that have my blog as a hard link (rather than on a blogroll).  I have no idea why my blog isn't showing up as updated - but it's beyond frustrating at this point seeing as how it's been over a week of this now.  I have contacted Google (twice actually) but so far, I haven't gotten any sort of reply or answer.

EDITORS NOTE:  Around 11:00 PM EST last night I figured out (with some help from Blogger forums) what was wrong.  Things should be back to normal around here finally!

I suppose I should continue on as if everything were fine - and that's what I'm going to do for the moment...which means it's time to answer another one of the questions for the contest I held (that almost no one saw)...

One of the questions was "How many Reds were in the package?"

The correct answer was a big number - 57 to be precise!  Of those 57, here are some of my favorites:

It's always difficult for me to pick a favorite card (or set) because I value a lot of different things when choosing baseball cards.  Of the five cards that I chose to scan, you'll see that idea manifest itself over and over.  For instance:

2007 Upper Deck:  Bronson Arroyo

Now, the '07 Upper Deck set isn't going to win any awards for being awesome in any particular way.   However, I happen to like the card a lot simply because it shows Arroyo "running" the bases...at least he's running in his own goofy, slightly uncoordinated way.  Of course, if I were 6'5" and a Major League pitcher, I wouldn't try running much more than that either!

Besides photos, there are certain cards I like simply because the card design is nice.  The 1987 Fleer card is a perfect example of that.

1987 Fleer Limited Edition ?? - John Franco

I don't have any particular affinity for Franco, but I do happen to like the design of this card.  Once again, any card from 1987 is probably "junk wax" but for me, if the design is good enough I'll still love it.  The fake banners at the bottom disappearing behind the player name box is a fun little touch and makes the entire card appear quite patriotic.

From the 1987 Fleer to 2001 Fleer (celebrating Fleer's 20th Anniversary), I've always had a thing for Fleer cards.  Those that participate in my various group breaks know that to be true as I often have at least one Fleer box per break (and why not - they almost always hold good stuff)!  That said, it doesn't have to be some sort of fancy Fleer card to get my attention - in fact, sometimes a design based on designs of yore work for me...

2001 Fleer Platinum:  Sean Casey

I would rather it be the team logo rather than the team name in script font inside the baseball, but otherwise this is a nice looking card.  Plus, any card that features the Reds' running man logo front and center is good by me!

Moving away from retro type cards, there's another reason why I might like a card - shiny!  I never really got into Topps Chrome, but I must admit that I enjoy it when people send me chromey goodness such as this Stever Avery.

2000 Topps Chrome - Steve Avery

Sure, Avery wasn't really much of a pitcher for the Reds, but it's still a nice card (and the design looks 10x better in Chrome than the regular flagship set for 2000 if you ask me)!

One more example:  Sometimes I like card simply because it is so goofy or so over-the-top that you can't help but love it...

2001 Bowman's Best - Impact Players:  Austin Kearns

Yep. Every now and then you get a card that doesn't need words.  Epic, awesome, goofy, silly, designed by a three year old on crack...  However you want to describe it, it's certainly attention grabbing - and for that, I love it!

Thanks, as always, for the cards Dayf!  And, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

Post a Comment