Featured Post

Group Break #5: Donruss Elite 2002 - Packs 1, 2, and 3

Welcome back to another Group Break post!  This time, we crack open the Donruss Elite box and take a look at the first three packs in that box.

Pack 01:
18.  Mark Mulder - Athletics
23.  Alfonso Soriano - Yankees
84.  Mariano Rivera - Yankees
96.  Bud Smith - Cardinals

AS10.  All-Star Salutes:  Derek Jeter #0168/2000

Ok, not a great way to win me over as a unashamed Yankee hater - but for roddster who claimed the Yanks, this is a great pack!

Pack 02:
29.  Adrian Beltre - Dodgers
65.  Bobby Higginson - Tigers
79.  John Olerud - Mariners
88.  Luis Gonzalez - Diamondbacks
150.  Aaron Sele - Angels

The Sele card has some sort of refractor-esque finish to it - unlike the other base cards in either pack.  I looked at the pack wrapper but I didn't see any mention of refractor type parallels so I am at a bit of a loss as to what the card is.  I'll consider it a parallel I guess - which really only matters to me and my record keeping!

Pack 03:
17.  Lance Berkman - Astros
74.  Terrence Long - Athletics
82.  Fernando Vina - Cardinals
90.  Brad Radke - Twins
101.  Dmitri Young - Tigers

The Dmitri card looks just like the Sele card...now I'm wondering if maybe the cards numbered above 100 are refractor like?  That would explain the lack of mention of refractor parallels on the pack wrapper.  I guess I'll mark both the Sele and Young as regular base cards instead of parallels...but that all changes if I open another pack later in which say card 19 is a refractor-like card.

Comments

  1. I miss the days of when Dmitri played for the Reds. On a different note, I can't believe he's auctioning off his card collection - it's for a good cause though http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-major-leaguer-dmitri-young-is-unlikely-owner-of-huge-rookie-baseball-card-collection-.html;_ylt=ArwdDjAG8BbgRoehDvuo6QsRvLYF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cards 101-150 are SP's with a refractor-like finish. They're supposedly seeded 1 in every 10 packs I believe so you probably won't run into any more in your box.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment