Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Fantasy Baseball Spoils

At the invitation of blog reader Ryan, I joined my first ever paid fantasy baseball league this year.  Sure, I've been in plenty of free leagues (with varying levels of success) but I had never dipped my toe into the pool of paid play...I always thought that paying would take the fun out of fantasy sports.

Well, color me surprised because I've had a blast thus far in the league.  There is definitely something to be said for people keeping up with their teams - and a paid league seems to help with that.  Although the main goal of the league is to win the championship (and thus make a little money), the league happens to have a secondary challenge on certain weeks - stat battles!

The first stat category of the season was runs and my team (despite my putrid offense most weeks) won!  What did I get as a reward, well, baseball cards of course.

Of the cards that Ryan sent me, here are my favorites:

Liquorfractor (or whatever these are called by most people) of Miguel Cairo.

Cairo only recently made it back to the big league club after recovering from an injury...and he promptly got a hit in first at bat back.  The Reds could use Cairo as both a backup and as a reliable bat off the bench.

Brandon Phillips All-Star card.

I didn't buy any of the Topps Update set last year so I'm always happy whenever I get a Red from the set.  Ryan also sent me the Votto All-Star from the set which is a pretty nice pairing of players.

Alex Gonzalez gold parallel.

I don't actively seek out many parallels (except for those on my want list) but I am always happy to add to my Reds collection.  I think I would have liked the 2008 Topps set a lot more if it had the gold border for all cards - it looks less "circus-ish" to me.

And finally, my favorite card:  Sparky Anderson (plus 4 other Reds coaches).

Thanks for all the cards Ryan - and hopefully I'll get a few more of these prize packages before the season is over!

Comments