Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Group Break #5: 2000 Pacific Aurora - Packs 13, 14, and 15

I've managed to maintain a fairly consistent posting pattern throughout this group break - something that I think has made my blog more fun to visit for everyone (i.e. group break posts in the morning and at lunch time with a non-group break post during the evening).  However, I do plan to speed up the second half of the break a bit so I might start squeezing in an extra post somewhere during the day (time permitting of course)!

With that said, this post is still on auto-pilot as I should now be enroute to Pittsburgh to watch the Reds and Pirates play a game before returning home this evening.  Three baseball games in three cities!  I am writing this post a few days before I leave on my trip and I have to admit that I'm crazy excited right now!

On to the packs!

Pack 13:
2.  Troy Glaus - Angels
21.  Nomar Garciaparra - Red Sox
69.  Jermaine Dye - Royals
102.  Eric Chavez - Athletics
104.  Ben Grieve - Athletics
10.  Premier Date parallel:  Tom Glavine - Braves #05/52

The Premier Date parallels are seeded 1:37 packs (or a bit less than one-per-box) and are hobby exclusives. It's a nice pick-up for the Braves as the cards are quite rare (only 52 copies of each)!

Pack 14:
13.  Brian Jordan - Braves
37.  Barry Larkin - Reds
66.  Billy Wagner - Astros
108.  Bobby Abreu - Phillies
130.  Jeff Kent - Giants
133.  Ken Griffey Jr. - Reds

The Griffey Jr. card is numbered as part of the Mariners "block" of cards (Pacific numbered the cards in order by team).  My best guess is that Pacific barely had time to make the changes to represent Griffey in his new uniform (note the shirt and tie on underneath his jersey).

After scanning the Griffey Jr. card, I went to collate the cards with the other Aurora cards that I've already opened when I realized that I already pulled a Griffey Jr. card as a Mariner (same card number).

I guess the Griffey Jr. as a Red must be one of the unannounced variation cards (much like the McGwire I pulled earlier in the break)!  A little research led me to this site which states that the Reds version of the Griffey is indeed a variation - and a short print (1:4 packs) at that!  Likewise, the vertical stripe cards that we've pulled already (Mo Vaughn, Craig Biggio, and Mark McGwire) are all also short print variations.  Looking at the site, I see there is also a Barry Larkin short print variation - here's to hoping we pull that this break!

Pack 15:
15.  Kevin Millwood - Braves
51.  Larry Walker - Rockies
68.  Johnny Damon - Royals

109.  Doug Glanville - Phillies
113.  Brian Giles - Pirates
139.  Dave Martinez - Rays

The Royals started off the break really slowly but they are suddenly creeping into "decent" status.  That makes 7 cards for the Royals which is still on the low end of things (as far as with the other teams in the break) but it's much more respectable than their earlier comparisons!

Comments

  1. There are 50 different pinstripe cards,including Larkin. I have Thome, Man Ram and Lofton. I need the Manny base card! Please pull a Ramirez At-Bat Styrotech die-cut, 299 sets !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment