Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Topps Archives from Blog Reader David

There's two things that are true about my collecting habits.

1.  I'm fairly picky.
2.  When I go for something, I usually go for it hard.

Luckily for me, despite #2 being true, #1 usually wins out.  As such, I managed to avoid buying Topps flagship (either series), Gypsy Queen, and Heritage (not to mention anything Bowman) so far this year.  Unfortunately for me, I bought a couple of blasters of Topps Archives (and then a bunch more) and I've fallen for this set hard.  Besides the base set (#s 1-200), I'm also chasing all of the short prints, the Archive reprint cards, the Deckle Edge inserts, the Cloth sticker inserts, the 3D cards, the Duos, and the In Action cards.  You can find everything that I still need (and it's a fairly large list) here.

In the past few days, I've completed a bunch of trades involving Archives - today's post highlights a straight-up Archives for Archives swap that I completed with blog reader David (who as far as I know doesn't have a blog).  David helped me with the last few elusive base cards that I needed and then he hooked me up with a bunch of the inserts.

Of the cards he sent my way, here are a few of my favorites:

Johnny Cueto relic:

I had pretty good luck pulling relics from blasters (I think I ended up with four in total) but I didn't pull any of the Reds so you can imagine my happiness at acquiring this Cueto.  Johnny has turned himself into an excellent, bona fide top of the rotation kind of guy in the past couple of years which is both exciting and rare (for a Reds pitcher)!

Classic Combos:

I decided to chase the Classic Combos cards mostly because I saw this particular card on the checklist.  Two of the best Reds of all-time, yes please!

In Action:

I'm a sucker for the In Action cards since they are based on the design from the '82 Topps set (the year of my birth).  It's also a little amusing to see Kruk "in action" running the bases.  I don't think he was known for his base running prowess back in his playing days.

Cloth Stickers:

David sent me three cloth stickers, but the best one was the Johnny Bench!  Two Bench cards that I need in a single trade package is a good thing for me.

Finally, David sent me a small pile of the Archive reprint cards - my favorite two being the Joe Morgan (not as a Red though) and Tom Seaver (as a Red).

I don't think Topps chose the team that the two players were best known for, but that's ok - I sort of like it when Topps mixes it up a bit!

Thanks for all the great cards David.  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments