Featured Post

Delivery Time! Anthony Attax the Want List!

Just when I think I should start removing sets on my want list (and thus, give up on ever completing them), I get a trade offer similar to that which Anthony sent me.  He offered me a whole bunch of 2011 Topps Attax cards (cards that I haven't received in a trade in seemingly months and months) plus a couple of Topps Archives cards that I needed in exchange for a few cards from my various For Trade lists.

Before I show off a few of the rather cool Attax cards, let's first take a look at the Archive card that I still needed:  A nice 3D card of Nelson Cruz.

Anthony also sent me a 3D card of Justin Upton, unfortunately (as I've been known to do), I worked out another trade for that card and thus it's a duplicate.

Actually, I'm an idiot.  I apparently worked out two other trades for the card, the Upton is a triplicate!  It's amazing I ever complete a set isn't it?

As I mentioned earlier, the real bulk of the trade was for a bunch of Topps Attax cards.  Amazingly (to me), I'm now within striking distance of completing the set - and if you have any of these lying around, shoot me an email.  What I still need:
Topps Attax Needs:Base:  78, 83, 84, 93, 111, 122, 176, 189, 208, 209, 214, 217, 218, 221, 222, 227, 231, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 244, 246, 247, 248, 249, 251, 252, 253
In terms of the current trade, Anthony sent me a whopping 20 different cards that I needed.  I won't show off every card, but I will show a few of my favorites from the stack!

One of the nice things about the Topps Attax set is that it is clearly geared to kids.  As such, the write-ups may be brief but they are also (usually) about something that you wouldn't see on a typical baseball card.  For instance, this CC Sabathia card is notable because it includes the tidbit "(Sabathia is the) only player in history to stand 6-7 or taller an weight at least 290 pounds."  Now, I may never have my own baseball card - but even I feel a little bit bad for Sabathia that his girth is the one thing that Topps decided to highlight in its kiddie set!

Speaking of kids, there is a whole subset of mascots in the set - Anthony sent me a few including the Braves mascot (which might be one of the creepiest mascots I've ever seen).

Seriously, how do young Brave fans sleep at night after seeing that thing during a game?  Yikes.

From the creepy to the annoying, the Rockies have a mascot that seems to be ripped right out of a Barney & Friends episode.  I'm lucky enough to be older than the crowd that grew up with Barney, but I'm young enough to know just how annoying that purple dinosaur was.

The Braves have a creepy mascot, the Rockies an annoying one, but who would guess that the Royals are the team with the Mascot with a Mullet?!

Oh sure, you'll probably tell me that it's supposed to be a lion.  You know, the whole king of the jungle thing, kings = royalty = royals.  Bull.  This thing is a mulleted creature with a crown.  It's all business in the front, party in the back, and a sense of entitlement on top.

The other subset in the Attax set is that of the various MLB Stadiums.  I've been fortunate enough to attend games at many stadiums, but one that I haven't yet been to but would love to is San Francisco's AT&T Park.

The photo makes the park look a bit gloomy, but whenever I see a Giants game on TV the entire park looks gorgeous (plus I'm a sucker for water and you can catch a homerun ball in your kayak if you are lucky)!  How awesome is that?  Granted, it was probably a lot more awesome before MLB took steroids out of the game, but still, good stuff!

Thanks for the trade Anthony, and as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments