Featured Post

UD Retro Week: The Box Begins!

Welcome to Upper Deck Retro Week!

Note:  In a strange turn of events, Colbey from Cardboard Collections is currently hosting a group break that happens to involve a box of 1998 UD Retro.  Go join in the fun if you haven't already!

Today, we begin the process of opening up a box of 1998 Upper Deck Retro.  I actually opened this box up awhile back but never got around to posting any of the contents.  Now that it's been many months, it'll sort of be like I get to open the box up again for myself as well!

Each box of 1998 UD Retro contains 24 packs with 6 cards per pack.  The entire box is actually a sweet, metal lunch pail and features one of several different players.  My box happens to feature Mark McGwire (I was really hoping for the Griffey box but that's ok).

My plan for the week is to completely open up (and sort/organize) the 24 packs - so join me in the adventure as we wait for Allen & Ginter to be released (the "new" Retro set)!

Pack 1:
40.  Craig Biggio

51.  Jeromy Burnitz
72.  Rickey Henderson
94.  Fred McGriff
120.  Futurama:  Eric Milton

TC16.  Time Capsule:  Rickey Henderson

The Time Capsule cards are seeded 1:2 packs which means this should be the first of twelve such cards in the box.  On a more interesting note, how often do you see a card that instructs you to write in a season's worth of statistics on it?  It's a rather unusual idea, I guess it sort of plays to the Time Capsule theme though.

Pack 2:
2.  Darin Erstad
6.  Andres Galarraga

33.  Dante Bichette
76.  Jose Guillen
117.  Futurama:  Richard Hidalgo
TC2.  Time Capsule:  Rafael Palmeiro

Two packs, two Time Capsules.  I like the design of the base cards, especially the backs since they feature the little baseball student with a factoid on a specific baseball term.  Other terms in the pack were dish, gap/alley, and waste pitch.  Good stuff from Upper Deck!

There will be plenty more packs ripped (ok, they are already ripped - but re-opened) and posted throughout the week.  By Friday (or maybe Saturday), I should have the entire box posted on the blog.  Stay tuned to see what other goodies I end up with!

Comments

  1. Nice!! I used to LOVE this product when it was released. I remember the autograph odds being decent considering the price, and it was one of the first times I ever pulled an auto from a pack. Can't remember if it was '98 or '99 but I ended up with three autos from this set: two from packs (Bucky Dent and Pat Burrell) and one from ebay (Paul O'Neill).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment