Featured Post

Back When Inserts Were Cool...

One of the best things about opening boxes from the late 90s/early 00s is that the insert cards are usually awesome.  Oh sure, there's plenty of hideous cards and ideas, but you had to hand it to the card companies for trying things.  You won't find three years of "Diamond Duos" with a simple rename, let's just say that.  My next pack out of the 2000 Skybox Metal box features an awesome insert card - behold!

Pack 03:
78.  Jorge Posada
84.  Brian Giles

I'll scan the Giles since the Pirates don't often get a lot of love on the blogs.
87.   Bret Boone
94.  Kevin Brown
136.  Jason Giambi
149.  Jose Canseco
182.  Joe McEwing
195.  Jim Edmonds
11.  Emerald parallel:  Chris Singleton

The emerald parallels are seeded 1:4 packs - the prospect parallels are seeded 1:8 packs for comparison.  I wonder if anyone ever made completed the full emerald set?  It must be said that there's nothing special or different about the parallels except for the strip of green at the top of the card.
10 of 10 H.  Hit Machines:  Chipper Jones

This is the awesome insert card I was referring to earlier.  It's die-cut, but in a way that makes sense.  It has a bit of shiny but it isn't over-powering.  And yes, the machine motif fits well with the metal line.  Kudos to Skybox for the insert set - and shame on modern companies like Topps for not doing more things like this.  I don't even like Chipper but I think it'd be really quite difficult for me to trade this one away!  Unfortunately, the Hit Machines cards are seeded 1:20 packs so I doubt I'll get a second one in the box.

I have to ask:  What are your favorite insert sets of all time?  Maybe I could devote a future post to showing off everyone's favorites - leave yours in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:43 PM

    My favorite insert set of all time is Platinum Power from 1993 SP. Was then, still is today. Die-cut design (I think these were the first die-cut cards) with Gold and Blue was plain beautiful.

    I can completely relate to your point - as I'm going through the Topps project, I'm doing the sets from 1996-1998 right now. Topps was trying a little harder - though there were signs of them latching onto an idea that had success and then beating it into the ground (Mantle reprints in 96 followed by more Mantle reprints, Mays reprints, Clemente, Ryan, Aaaron).

    I am starting to believe this was an area where Topps never was quite as good as the competition. Upper Deck, Fleer and Donruss seemed more likely to try something new. Still, they were better in the late 90's than now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment